• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting T/C Peep Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I found an interesting peep sight for T/C Renegade and Hawken octagon barrels which I have never seen mentioned here or seen anywhere.

The peep sight mounts in the holes for the rear sight on the barrel, it is not tang mounted.

I can see some interesting applications for those who hunt, it has a low profile and it retains its sight adjustment for those who like to clean their rifle with the barrel off. It appears about as bullet proof sight as I have ever seen, there is nothing to fail or come out of adjustment.

Here is the description:

No gunsmithing required, screws and wrenches included for mounting and adjusting. Front sight height will be variable. Install the Skinner Sight, then shoot on paper at a known distance with your load and projectile choice. Make front sight changes if / as needed.

Here is the site: skinnersights.com

Look under T/C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. TY for posting. I have seen a few posts from a member here that makes his own rather inexpensively that about mimic these. Still it is good reference. My question though....on a hawken, using the rear site holes to mount that there lil circle would be quite far from the eye?

I really gotta try a peep again, never could get em to work for me (mental thing I believe). Now that the eyes are aging may have to look into it again.

Skinner also makes a peep sight that screws into the threaded screw hole in the breech plug of T/C guns.(hole is used for scope mounting and not found on early models). this peep mounts close to the eye as they should, but it is only adjustable for elevation. Horizontal adjustments require moving the front sight.

It's interesting to me in the sense that it's a screw-on version, but there's been a similar dovetail version around for years. Got mine from TOW long ago, but haven't looked recently to see if it's available.

My problem is that a peep so far down the barrel was ineffective, in fact worse for my eye than open sights. I need the peep as close to my eye as possible for it to work "right" for me.

Lotta geezers in my neighborhood and most of us shoot together. I passed the dovetail version off to another who was hot to try it. He passed it off to another, and that one passed it off.... And so on. I'm sure it's somewhere in the neighborhood, probably in someone's drawer, but I haven't seen it on a gun again for at least 5 years. And pretty much all of us use peeps for hunting.

Give it a try, and I really hope it works out. If so, I'd love to learn than there's finally a barrel version that works as well as a receiver version.

A peep mounted that far forward will work for anyone with good eyesight, and can still use a standard rear iron sight.
Those of us as mentioned need it as close to the eye as possible.

A peep mounted that far forward will work for anyone with good eyesight

Well....not quite anyone. Those forward mounted peepers must have a large aperture. They are liked by some hunters. But not everyone can find their target quickly using that type of sight. For range use in competition the rear sight should (for the big majority of shooters) be mounted close to the sighting eye. It is more accurate when quick acquisition of the, maybe moving, target is not a factor.

Rifleman1776 said:
It is more accurate when quick acquisition of the, maybe moving, target is not a factor.

Actually we found just the opposite. A big old peep at the rear is invisible, so all you have to do is place the front sight and shoot. If you can see the front sight through that "invisible" big aperture, your sights are lined up, and much easier and quicker than conventional sights.

On my many modern guns (and now my muzzleloaders) with peeps, I leave the screw-in small aperture in place for sight in precision, then toss it in a drawer never to be seen on the gun again. I bet there are over 20 of them in a little box back in the corner of my accessory drawer. I've tried it, and I suspect they're not even needed for sight-in and load testing, they make so little difference in precision.

Brown Bear, Check out the peeps I mentioned that screw into the hole in the breech plug (if you have one of those barrels). This peep is close to the eye and works great for me.

BrownBear said:
Rifleman1776 said:
It is more accurate when quick acquisition of the, maybe moving, target is not a factor.

Actually we found just the opposite. A big old peep at the rear is invisible, so all you have to do is place the front sight and shoot. If you can see the front sight through that "invisible" big aperture, your sights are lined up, and much easier and quicker than conventional sights.

On my many modern guns (and now my muzzleloaders) with peeps, I leave the screw-in small aperture in place for sight in precision, then toss it in a drawer never to be seen on the gun again. I bet there are over 20 of them in a little box back in the corner of my accessory drawer. I've tried it, and I suspect they're not even needed for sight-in and load testing, they make so little difference in precision.

Jack O'Connor had the same advice 70 years ago. The ghost ring is not new and it still works great. Just look through it and shoot.

Putting a peep forward is no better than open sights. The diopter effect is lost and aligning the front sight in the hole becomes important. It is the worst of both worlds.

For a TC you will not do better than a lyman #57 rear and a #17 up front.

JMO, but after using various rear sights for well over 45 years, I've found that the closer the peep's aperture is to the shooter's eye, the faster & easier it is to use (depending upon aperture inner diameter).

Since the apertures should be looked THROUGH and not AT, a barrel-mounted peepsight is a non-starter for me. (YMMV, though)

Back