• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting info from the Lewis and Clark expedition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There was a L&C member named George Shannon who got lost for 12 days looking for horses that ran off. To keep from starving, he shot rabbits with short pieces of sticks from his rifle as he ran out of lead round ball. That is a very interesting piece of information. Can anyone expound on how he may have done that and what his 'ammo' may have looked like ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

There was a L&C member named George Shannon who got lost for 12 days looking for horses that ran off. To keep from starving, he shot rabbits with short pieces of sticks from his rifle as he ran out of lead round ball. That is a very interesting piece of information. Can anyone expound on how he may have done that and what his 'ammo' may have looked like ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

His ammo look like short pieces of sticks.

Never shot any sticks out of a muzzleloader, but I did shoot a cleaning rod out of an M-16 using a blank 😁 I pushed the earth until I achieved muscle failure. Was worth it.
I saw a guy in basic training, had accidently stuck mud in the flash hider of his M-14, when he shot it, the "fingers" of the hider were splayed out just like a Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon! (1960's, the M-14's were semi-auto only in basic.) I don't think they made a big deal out of it, it was simply an educational accident! BTW, that the L&C Expedition did all that, and lost no guys in the doing, is amazing! They were all Army, so maybe that was to their advantage; were used to some organized discipline.

Loan me a gun and I will give it a try..........Just not in my guns.
I'm with you, FC. Maybe somebody on the forum has a junker and would like to experiment and take one for the team. Now my brain is going crazy thinking about the grain weight of a 3" long .50 caliberish oak dowel, patched and lubed, and maybe backed with 20-25 gr of FFFg. Accuracy at 30 and 50 feet??? This might lead to a whole new way to do darts at the corner tavern.

Loan me a gun and I will give it a try..........Just not in my guns.

I keep thinking I'll give it a try next time I'm out. I wouldn't pound one onto my bore, but whittled down to a loose fit with a couple over powder cards and a felt wad should be just fine. I'm sure it will tumble end for end, but short range I bet I could scare a rabbit. I do usually carry a smooth bore, but I don't think it would matter.
Heck, guys shove grass, leaves, and hornets nest down the tube. A stick is the next logical progression in technology!

Back