• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interchangeability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are cylinders interchangeable within the same model and brand? In other words for example can a Pietta 1858 cylinder from "this" revolver be used on "that" Pietta 1858 revolver without modification? What about other parts? Same brand and model = drop in fit?

Thanks

I have swapped cylinders between a pair of 1860 Armys with no issue, and my Leech & Rigdon barrel/cylinder combo is sitting in the frame from a new 1851. All Ubertis, with no changes in gap characteristics and they clearly cycle just fine.

I found swapping grips can be hit-or-miss when it comes to fit and finish. The reason my Leech & Rigdon is on a new frame is because the old frame's screw holes for the grip are offset slightly. The brass that came with the gun was fitted to that frame-- swapping in grips from three other guns ended up proud on top and to the right. I wanted a "London" look for the Leech & Rigdon, so I installed blued steel grips on my new 5" Navy and then swapped barrels/cylinders between the two guns.

Last edited:
If your Pietta 1858 is newer after they started using CNC to build them there should be no problem swapping cylinders. I have an older Navy Arms marked Pietta 1858 made around 1980 that will swap cylinders with the newer ones, but it is not the best fit.

I recently purchased a Navy Arms Texas Paterson that came to me without a cylinder or wedge. I do not know when it was made but I have not been able to locate either cylinder or wedge from Navy Arms. Is it possible to pop another maker's cylinder, such as Uberti or Pietta, into a Navy Arms? Or, does anyone know where I can purchase a Navy Arms Texas Paterson cylinder?

Back