• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How compatible and other Q's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

32 Cal
Reaction score
Many makers in the past and currently have made 1858's... how? I mean was there an ancient cache of hand drawn blueprints that was preserved by handing down through the generations? Did Remington have and disseminate them into the public realm? Or, perhaps were the current models reverse engineered?

Early samples must have been made using some standards for threads? How compatible are today's reproductions? Can parts be swapped between current Italian made brands?

Phew, a lot of questions. I will leave most of that to the experts here.

No parts are not common nor interchangeable that I do know. Pietta I believe is all metric thread (two for sure are the Cone threads and the screw that holds the front sight on a NMA target.

Flip is that while Pietta and ASP have a lot in common, the cylinders do not cross (the Pietta is a bit longer I believe). The ASP cylinder will fit in the Pietta but there is a good gap at the forcing cone and I would not fire it with that cylinder in it.

Pietta and ASP despite having a lot in common the bolt does not cross either. They look the same, the ASP is running with a modified Uberti Bolt. Some pretty tiny detail as to whey they don't cross as the look of the Pietta parts is a close match but its the Uberti Bolt that works (what I modified was the latch end to get it through the frame and match the slots in the the cylinder)

Many makers in the past and currently have made 1858's... how? I mean was there an ancient cache of hand drawn blueprints that was preserved by handing down through the generations? Did Remington have and disseminate them into the public realm? Or, perhaps were the current models reverse engineered?

Early samples must have been made using some standards for threads? How compatible are today's reproductions? Can parts be swapped between current Italian made brands?

gnappi,
it's like Ford, Chevy, BMW, Porsche . . . nobody is going to be compatible with the others. The product may appear the same but nobody is going to let spare parts fit any other make. Reverse engineering would definitely be the easiest way.
The only truly "drop-in" part across the board for Remington type revolvers is the tiny grub-screw that attaches the hand to the hammer. It's the same thread across the board! I learned this years ago while developing the coil spring layout for the Remington action. I needed a "stop" for the screw to tighten up against because of the way the hand is sprung. With that knowledge I got a 4 ft section of threaded rod ( a lifetime worth!) and make stops for the Remingtons as needed.
Today I don't use it anymore or the grub-screw itself!! I open the threaded hole in the hammer to the same size as the hole in the hand and use a "thick headed" close tolerance pin to attach the hand to the hammer. Works like a dream, is easier and faster to disassemble / reassemble and you don't have to keep up with that Itty-bitty grub-screw!!!

Mike

Thanks all,

I'm new to BP revolvers but have a very long history of using 1911's and I guess I made some ASSumptions after hearing many buy Kirst conversions.

Thanks all,

I'm new to BP revolvers but have a very long history of using 1911's and I guess I made some ASSumptions after hearing many buy Kirst conversions.

All mine have Kirst conversions.
You didn't say anything about conversion cylinders. Most folks think "parts" when others ask about "parts".

Even cylinders are going to have variation. The ASP NMA will fit in the Pietta NMA, but, its way short. Of course the Pietta cylinders won't fit in the ASP.

Mike: Is that hand screw metric? So far the two threads I have dealt with on the ASP and the Pietta were metric. Front sight on the Pietta and the Cone threads on both were metric.

Back