• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing a vent liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan d

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm playing around with parts I have laying around (I enjoy doing things like this) I am converting a traditions percussion deer hunter into a flintlock.

I have read numerous posts & done Internet searches on this & I understand what I need to do. I will not remove the Nipple barrel, I will cut it off & surface grind it flush to the barrel (yes I work at a cnc machine shop the last 23 years) I will drill & tap for a 1/4 x 28 vent liner.

I will let you all know I understand how traditions runs the nipple barrel threads thru the breach plug & then run an angular hole to the barrel bore. I realize this might make a tempermentle gun to ignite (I'm willing to play & learn)

Now for my concern........... I realize a normal vent liner goes thru the barrel & should be ground flush inside the bore so it does not protude. A good instalation would not have any threads (male or female) being exposed to ignition of the powder. What I am trying to do will have the female threads exposed behind the vent liner, is that a concern ?

I did purchase a blind hole tap with only 1 turn of thread tapered verses a normal tap having 5 or more tapered threads before a good full thread. I will use a "normal tapered tap" to start but I will finish with a blind hole tap to minimize threads in the vent channel.

Is this correct thinking ? Or am I worrying about things that don't matter ?

Thanks,
Dan

As long as you have access to machines..cut off the breach area re-tap the barrel for a standard breach plug and proceed...You will have a better end product ignition wise...Keep us posted on this project..Good luck!

"Bare" threads being exposed to the hot gases won't hurt the threads covered by the liner. Unless the end of the liner is contoured to the bbl dia.,which I don't do, there will always be "bare" threads. On my first LR I didn't run the tap completely through the hole and the liner stops on the incomplete threads.....usually remove the liner when cleaning and have done so many times w/o messing up the threads. You could also use a flat bottom tap and leave a shoulder for the liner to stop on as you mentioned.

I would ensure that the remnant of the drum is very tight. If there's a long flash channel and it doesn't completely fill w/ powder, ignition won't occur. This could very likely be the case......Fred

Dan D said:
I understand how traditions runs the nipple barrel threads thru the breach plug & then run an angular hole to the barrel bore. I realize this might make a tempermentle gun to ignite
The only hole they run is a right angle to the drum indexed from the bore;

CVA1.jpg

I have studied that very pic, it's where I noted no threads or sharp edges were in the bore. I also noted the pic below from this post. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/243154/

I don't know if I am ready to try installing a breach plug or not, but I am going to sleep on the thought.............. Oh I just remembered why I don't want to mess with the breach plug as it is very difficult to find a replacement plug for the traditions hook breach plug.

Installing a vent liner seems pretty simple, a breach plug is a little bit more intimidating, but I understand the process of seating the plug.

All advice is appreciated,
Thanks,
Dan

51a81b1a55dbec39e126385c450753d1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmm...................... Thats a large plug, I remember reading somewhere it was best to use a small liner. I don't know why, but I read it here somewhere. Using a large bolt would eliminate the thread inside a thread concept of tapping the drum. Hmmmmmmmmmm..............

Thanks for all the advice !
Dan

That's exactly what I did about 20 years ago with a CVA rifle. I couldn't find the right size/thread vent liner and there basically was no internet back then. I got a bolt and cut and drilled it. I just bought a lock (flint) that was made for the same model gun. I didn't know back then the difference in good and so-so locks back then

Back