• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing touch hole liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, hopefully tomorrow I will be installing a White Lightning liner in a rifle I’ve been building. The liner will protrude in the barrel a bit. Is it better to pre trim the liner before installing or to remove breach plug and file it from the interior to flush. If I do the latter I’d assume I would remove trimmed liner, smooth filed edge and cone then reinstall. How should I go about this?

Hello, hopefully tomorrow I will be installing a White Lightning liner in a rifle I’ve been building. The liner will protrude in the barrel a bit. Is it better to pre trim the liner before installing or to remove breach plug and file it from the interior to flush. If I do the latter I’d assume I would remove trimmed liner, smooth filed edge and cone then reinstall. How should I go about this?
Way easier to it to the right length before final installation.

Trim before installation as @SDSmlf said. If you have a borescope you can see when it’s flush. If not, use you range rod, cleaning jag and patch to feel for anything sticking out in bore. And do a final check after the last tightening before you cut the tab off to make sure it’s flush. Don’t ask me how I know this.

Years ago...I installed a liner on a flintlock. I knew nothing about doing it correctly, but just that I needed to do it. I installed it and filed it flush from the outside. Looked good. Set up on the bench to try the rifle. Dad was to my right. I fired and looked at dad and he had a What? look on his face. I had filed it so thin that when the rifle went off it opened up to the diameter of the liner and shot a flame at him. I learn things by doing sometimes...

Years ago...I installed a liner on a flintlock. I knew nothing about doing it correctly, but just that I needed to do it. I installed it and filed it flush from the outside. Looked good. Set up on the bench to try the rifle. Dad was to my right. I fired and looked at dad and he had a What? look on his face. I had filed it so thin that when the rifle went off it opened up to the diameter of the liner and shot a flame at him. I learn things by doing sometimes...
That happens when the hole isn't countersunk for the liner's bevel. You end up with a knife edged hole that blows out or quickly burns out. Barrel wall permitting I measure the threaded hole and file off a thread or two to match the depth of the hole. After countersinking I should end up with a flash channel of about 1/32" or so.
I have a rifle that was self priming until I removed the liner and replaced it. The big name builder had not cut the threads far enough and filed into the tapered part of the liner. I cut the threads deeper and did it my way.

Good to go.

Attachments

• 27FB2E20-0DEA-4948-BD0E-80A099F26F5C.jpeg
    27FB2E20-0DEA-4948-BD0E-80A099F26F5C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Getting on with the sanding now.

Attachments

• 8AC7D084-4775-473D-BF6B-155FD6A762E4.jpeg
    8AC7D084-4775-473D-BF6B-155FD6A762E4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • BC537789-D42F-40DB-BBA0-779EBD6CCC44.jpeg
    BC537789-D42F-40DB-BBA0-779EBD6CCC44.jpeg