• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dikar Blunderbuss vent liner thread?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a Dikar Blunderbuss and was wondering if anyone knows what the vent liner or touch hole thread is?

Am guessing 5-.8mm but want to confirm.

Thanks in advance, PB.

Don't guess. Measure. Take the barrel to a full service hardware store, such as ACE, where you can trial fit all the common metric and American standard threads. Once you know the exact thread pitch, then you can order the replacement vent liner.

Have you removed the touch hole liner? Can it be easily removed? If it is easily removed, then take the liner to the full service hardware store. A vent liner is far less distressing to the people in the store than a barrel.

Hi Grenadier, yes was not going to guess, inherited the firearm with the touch hole liner missing. Living in Australia would not dare to take a gun part near anywhere that was not a range. Will figure it out was looking for quick answer, thanks for your advice.

I kinda like the idea of taking the whole blunderbuss myself. The guys at the hardware store know me. They'd have a good laugh if I did it.

Just make sure you strap it across your back outside your outermost layer. Ya don't want to be accused of carrying concealed.

Not as quick as I would like

One can start by getting out your inside measuring calipers and measure the inside diameter of the touch hole liner opening. If you don't have calipers with an inside diameter jaws, then use your drill set to find a range of diameters from the first drill that will enter the touch hole to the largest one that can't enter the touch hole. This should be in the range of about 5.5 mm to about 8.5 mm. or about 0.213 (ANSI Number 3) to 0.315 (ANSI 11/32 or Letter S)

@broadarrow, make your own set of thread gauges. Go to the local general service hardware stores and buy one each of the following threaded bolts: Metric 5.5-0.8, 6-0.75, 6-1.00, 7-1.00, 8-1.25, 9-1.25 ANSI 1/4-28, 5/16-18, 5/16-24, 3/8-24. I don't know the thread standard used in Australia. Once done, you will have a set of thread gauges you can take to the range.

I may have missed a couple of thread pitches. Put them in marked plastic bags. One of the threaded bolts should fit your touch hole liner. Get the nuts too for a complete set.

I'm going to guess the 8-1.25 or the 5/16-18 or 5/16-24.

Back