• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbw907

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for inletting black? I forgot to order some and need it sooner than I can get up another list of things I need. I already heard the one about lipstick and nobody here uses it. I also heard that lampblack and shoe polish may be good. Or a sooty candle flame. But I thought maybe someone out there had an ingenious solution. And I always appreciate the great advice you all share.Thanks, Shannon

Have ya tried Dry-Erase markers. I have heard they work well but have never had to try them myelf. I have enough inlet black and haven't run out yet. I have been told they are a lot cleaner to use than inlet black.

I use lipstick. What's wrong with that? Apply with an artist's brush (to the gun of course).

The lamp black I have is slightly less dense than shoe polish, and I would use shoe polish if I ran out. I have tried making the stuff by collecting soot from my kerosene lamp, and mixing it with cold cream, and it does work, but I don't see any reason to go to all that bother, and have to put up with that soot. It gets on everything. And it is almost impossible to clean off. I was not aware of some of the other products already suggested. I will have to look for them myself.

I do not know if this works as I have not used it as of yet ... but I have read that applying a light coat of vaseline on the part, and then applying the lamp will work to produce lamp black.

Davy

Mink oil mixed with candle soot works good for me.
I found it not as messy as as shoe polish or lipstick.

For a cheap solution I just use a thin coating of vaseline and then run the part over an oil lamp with out the chimney. Works great and is cheap.

Jack

I prefer just using the candle. I bought some inletting black and used it a couple of times and had more black junk over me and the rest of the rifle than the area I was trying to work on. The candle soot wipes off easily to.

I'm another candle user, I blacken the piece and add a drop of oil.:thumbsup:

I use shoe polish. It's cheap, and comes in various tones of brown so I can get a fair match to the wood if I can't remove it all.

If you don't mind getting wierd looks, and if a neighbor has a fireplace you can try talking them into letting you scrape their damper or the bricks at the top of the firebox onto a piece of newspaper. That would give you the carbon you need.

Mix the carbon with a little mineral oil and your in business. :)

I tried using candles when I first started building but after burning my fingers several times I decided to use the commercial stuff.

After 10+ years, I have used about 3/4 of a bottle of it. :grin:

I use carpenter pencil lead dust in a pinch. I expose the lead on the pencil and grind it to fine dust on a piece of sand paper. I apply it with a artist brush. It does not last more that one fitting. A person might be able to mix a little oil and parafin to get a paste, thought about it a lot but never tried it though.

Joe

What ever you do, don't use lipstick.

I went into Mrs. Blahman's make-up drawer.....oh my gosh....that was real scary. There's so much junk in there, but the strange thing is, she knows how to use it!

Got the lipstick confused with this chapstick stuff.....it was awful!

Like my old grandad used to say: a man has no business in a woman's drawers! :haha:

I use CHEAP LIPSTICK.That black stuff in the Jar is just too messy
Make my wife buy it for me. Don't quite want to go to the store counter saying I use a lot of stuff. :grin:

blahman: "Got the lipstick confused with this chapstick stuff.....it was awful!

Ya, that chapstick stuff ain't no good.
What ye has ta remimber is aftar ye use that lipstick, don't ferget ta put on the "gloss".
:rotf: :grin: :rotf:

The lipstick isn't bad but that mascara! Ugh. It runs every time I watch "Old Yeller."

I use Prussian Blue from the auto parts store. It is made by Permatex. It works great for inleting parts or fitting parts together. John

Back