• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inlay break, now some metal work...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrat

40 Cal
Reaction score
The indian head inlay wiped me out and I'm taking another break from carving. Turning my attention to some engraving on the barrel. This is still in the rough stage and I added some ink so it shows up. Still have along ways to go but I will get there.......Labrat

Attachments

• 20211006_091304.jpg
    20211006_091304.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 70
I got but one thing to say WOW. That is a lot more detail than I'm going to do to mine. My carving and engraving skills are at a beginners level compared to yours. Again really nice!!!

Well, there sure ain't anything wrong with that engraving.
Now I am more curious than ever though. Why did you make the "shell" carving at the end of the tang go the opposite direction of most guns? I wondered about it when you 1st posted it,,, but didn't say anything as I didn't want you to take it as a negative criticism. It looks well carved, just seemed different in that it seemed backwards. Now, even more so with the way the tang engraving flows.

I figure someone who can carve and engrave that well must have a reason or an inspirational example.

Thank you Norman & John. I have experience on drawing and engraving metal. No experience in carving wood and horns. As you've seen my work I really suck at it. Ha! But I'm staying the course and gonna do the best I can..............Hi Brokennock and Thank you for your remarks. I accept all criticism, good or bad and my cup is always half full not half empty. To your question of the shell design I have no inspirational message or secret . I have seen these shells used north & south and even east & west sometimes designed inside a kidney scroll. L. D. Nimschke & Gustave Young (1890 engravers) my favorite scrolls use them extensively. When I looked down the barrel the shell looks backwards to me so I changed it. I'm no artist and don't claim to be as I do this strictly as a hobby & for enjoyment. Scrolls should flow like water in a definite direction...........Labrat

Back