• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inherited Rifle - What is it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishman82

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just recently inherited some family antique rifles and would like to know what I have. One looks like a Lancaster tiger maple stock with a 35.5" barrel and about .33" bore . Attached are some pictures. Can anybody help with me with what it is?
20230623_162233.jpg
20230623_154523.jpg
20230623_162233.jpg
20230623_162305.jpg
20230623_155104.jpg
20230623_154523.jpg
20230623_162305.jpg
20230623_155104.jpg

Not my area of expertise, but it sure looks like a very nice Lewis Fondersmith percussion full stock rifle (with a "unique lock bolt"), He was born in 1778 and started out in Strasburg, Lancaster County, Pa, but later moved to Huntingdon County. Hopefully folks with a better insight will chime in to help you

Worth restoring! Maybe have the bore re-done by Bobby Hoyt, it's handsome!

That one needs to be left alone, it's in extremely good condition as is and doesn't appear to have had the "restorer's" favorite trick of slathering it in Tru-Oil to "preserve" it for hanging on the wall.

Please do not restore that one!! It might benefit from some very careful preservation and I’d get it in very good hands to determine what if anything and do anything it needs. I’d send it/take it to Erik Kettenburg/Allen Martin/guys with tons of experience if I wanted to get it in shooting shape. That looks to me to be an unmolested and very nice rifle.

If you do decide to shoot the rifle, be sure & replace the nipple 1st, also check condition of the bore & drum area before firing as it might be loaded.
The nipple vents on antique firearms are often very corroded to point a charge of black powder will blow the hammer back into your face & snap the tumber's axle as well.
If the nipple is frozen, pour a 50/50 mixture of auto transmission fluid & acetone down the muzzle & soak the breech & nipple area in the same mixture for 24 hrs to free the nipple's threads.
There's a good chance a local ML supply house will have a metric or std. thread nipple to replace the old one. If not re-thread to get a proper fitting nipple.

Now I do not agree with the leave it alone crowd at all. It is not an accurate representation of the rifle as it was made. That rifle was once a shining beauty of awesome craftsmanship. It looks like manure to me in its condition. I would restore it to as new condition as possible. Patina worship never made any sense to me. If it was brought back to life it would be a proper testament to its former glory.

Patina worship never made any sense to me. If it was brought back to life it would be a proper testament to its former glory.
Some things cannot be replaced and patina is one of them.
If you're a serious collector, once that is lost so is its value.
I have several guns that I've gotten in similar condition as the OPs and I have brought them back to shooting condition with careful cleaning and function check, not once have I considered a full restoration. Have you ever seen an absolutely pristine gun of that age in a museum?

It appears to be missing one of its triggers unless it's a single set. The hex head nut seems a little out of place though.
Nice architecture by the maker I'd check into bringing it back to life.
?? There's a set trigger right behind the adjustment screw behind the firing trigger. Perhaps he didn't have all the photos up yet when you saw it? It's most noticeable in the 5th picture, but once you see it, it's easily seen in any of the pics where you can see the trigger.

Latest posts

Back