• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Date of manufacture and origin of rife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dselman

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just bought what I believe to be an older hawken style rifle. It has around a 33 inch 1 1/8 diameter .45ish caliber barrel with what looks to be ROTURNE engraved on the barrel. The lock has the initials L.M. Engraved on it. The stock is a plain walnut half stock. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of either maker and a rough time frame the rifle might be from? I apologize for the low quality pictures. I am traveling for work so the pictures were took in the cab of my truck.
IMG_2039.jpeg
IMG_2038.jpeg
IMG_2037.jpeg
IMG_2036.jpeg
IMG_2035.jpeg
IMG_2023.jpeg

No idea, but I am very curious about it. Hopefully somebody else will know.

I would hazard cr 1850, maybe as old as forty. Lots of thes style guns made from Connecticut to Missouri
While not a classic Hawken plains rifle the brothers did make guns that looked like this.

I kind of agree with @tenngun and @Phil Coffins. It has the appearance of an 1850's ish target rifle built in the midwest. Many gunbuilders built rifles with that style of architecture. The rear sight appears to be later of the 1870's or later. I might also be a parts gun built in the 1970's. We need to wait and see if we can come up with some names for those markings. It is a nice looking rifle.

Does anyone know how to make the name on the barrel more legible without affecting the patina the rifle has ?

I think 1850's is to early for this back action 1/2 stock. To me it looks more like 1870's maybe Ohio made. Similar to many rifles of that era.

I have finally been able to come home and pull the gun from the stock for I cleaning and seen where the barrel was marked Remington and on the breech it has several numbers engraved that’s hard to read and then it has 10 1/2W. Does anyone know what this might mean?
IMG_2063.jpeg
IMG_2064.jpeg

Latest posts

Back