• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info on selling revolver from Canada to US?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieorr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking seriously about selling my 2nd generation Dragoon and wondering if anyone out there has information on Canada to US cross-border selling/shipping? I'll be doing my own checking but your experience would give me a starting point.

Jamie

One technicality is that pistols are not supposed to be shipped through the US Mail by individuals.
That means that it could need to be sent by a private carrier.
The USPS regulation that defines handguns as being firearms generally does not exempt antique C&B revolvers. --->>> Mailing BP revolvers

For some reason MARSTAR won't ship C&B revolvers to the US.
I don't know if it's due to Canadian export regulations or if it's just company policy.
It leads me to think that Canada has a problem with exporting them because they're classified as firearms.

Last edited:
I've done some more checking and found the following - posting it here for anyone else. There's no problem selling south, but you pretty much have to use a company/broker with the necessary US Federal Firearms License to comply with US laws. The only one I found with an office near me in Canada quoted a cost of US$200 plus 5% of the selling price. For that they handle pretty well everything.

The above is just a quick overview for information, I think it is accurate but no guarantees.

Jamie

I've done some more checking and found the following - posting it here for anyone else. There's no problem selling south, but you pretty much have to use a company/broker with the necessary US Federal Firearms License to comply with US laws. The only one I found with an office near me in Canada quoted a cost of US$200 plus 5% of the selling price. For that they handle pretty well everything.

The above is just a quick overview for information, I think it is accurate but no guarantees.

Jamie

I doubt that an exporter is needed to comply with US Laws.
You may need a Canadian export permit to meet Canadian Laws.
It's possible that you can obtain an export permit on your own, if one is needed.
There's a phone number to call for more info.
Most states have no restrictions on shipping a C&B revolver.
But if Canada, a Province or state has a requirement that it be sent to a dealer, you could simply ship it to the buyer's FFL gun shop.
If the gun is registered to you then you would want to have your name removed as the owner, so you would probably need to notify a LE agency about the sale.
You can also ask Loyalist Arms how they sell percussion guns to the US, and flintlocks.
If a US import permit were needed then they would tell you, but I'm fairly confident that the USA has no requirement for an import permit.
Being a used gun, the US may not even collect any duty on it.

I found this: --->>> Importing and exporting | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Exporting
Non-restricted
If you want to export a firearm out of Canada to another country, you must follow the laws of

• Canada – under Canadian law, you may need an export permit. Contact GAC at 343-203-4331 for more information.
  • the country where the firearm is going – you may need an import permit
  • any other country the firearm will pass through
Note
In the United States, the laws may vary from state to state.

You cannot ship a firearm to another country using Canada Post. You must use, a licensed carrier company to transport firearms under the Firearms Act.

Last edited:
Back