• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info on Newly Acquired Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_bal

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I joined this forum because I came into possession of a couple antique percussion rifles recently but know nothing about them. I am curious to learn any history/information surrounding the guns.

This is rifle 1 of 2 - The barrel is stamped with the name “A. SELDEN” and below that another name which is very difficult to read, but it appears to be “WHITEHALD”

There does not seem to be any other present markings, and I cannot tell the caliber...I'm not sure if that matters much or not as far as identifying the gun.

If anyone knows anything about this rifle or the names that are stamped on it I would greatly appreciate your replies.

Here is a link to view the photos online: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i7iu7gnw6nwpyiu/AAArEoTOWDC0jSbAzYdn6PsZa?dl=0

I have a tiny bit of info on this rifle.

A. Selden was gunsmith in Whitehall New York.

I have no "working dates" or any other personal info on him other than he also built shotguns and pistols.

This rifle has a "back action" lock on it which became somewhat widespread in their use during the 1850's which would help date the rifle probably to the 1850's, early 1860's, just before cartridge rifles "took over".

That helps make more sense out of the second name, it must be stamped "Whitehall" rather than my previous guess of "Whitehald."

The deeply curved butt plates were also popular from the late 1830's thru 1860.

Unlike the flatter butt plates used on rifles in the 1700's thru 1820's these were positioned on the upper arm just outside the shoulder when they were aimed. (The earlier flatter butt plates were positioned on the shoulder similar to modern rifles.)

There as been much speculation as to why these deeply curved butt plates became so popular but I doubt that we will ever know the real story.

The adjustable rear sight makes me think the rifle probably was made in the 1850-1860 time frame although it is possible it was changed at some later date.
Most of the earlier rifles rear sights were not adjustable for elevation.

My theory is that positioning the rifle butt on your arm brings the center of gravity of the rifle closer to your body and makes it easier to hold the rifle steady. The increased drop was to bring the sights to your eye because the crook of your arm is lower than your shoulder. I'd bet on it. Its only 2 to 3 inches difference but it sure makes your steadier off hand

There as been much speculation as to why these deeply curved butt plates became so popular but I doubt that we will ever know the real story.

Zonie I think the southern guns were made with pointed butt plates with a lot of curvature so they could use them like a walkin stick as they walked up and down the hill or mts.Ill bet that's why a lot of them are busted at the wrist too .
JMHO Curt

Definitely a New York or Eastern Ohio rifle from the 1850-1870 time period. They used hook breech and drum-nipple rather than "patent breech. in this area. Check under the barrel and see who the barrel maker was. Chances are Hitchcock and Muzzy made the barrel. They would have provided the barrel breeched, percussion drum installed, along with the tang to the builder. The rifling rate would be 1 in 48" twist.

Latest posts

Back