• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

info on BP guns made in japan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
theres been many posts on imported guns from spain italy and those from land of curry india
just wondering how those from japan fit into the mix
yes i know about buy american and so on but was just talking to a friend who looking at one made in japan and couldnt find much yes the gun is already states side so that part is over so its just going from one person to another

There was some real junk on the market 35 years ago. As I recall Ultra Hi guns were all Jaoanese made. Some were pretty shoddy. However, Miroku made some great guns Like the Dixie Southern Mountain Rifle. Very well made buy heavy as an anchor.

gun in question is the japan smooth musket
barrel has navyarms New Jersey and japan on the tang

Of the "Ultra-Hi" guns of Japaneese manufacture (I have seen some of these with barrels stamped "Korea") the locks and trigger assemblies did need some serious attention to get them to working properly.
While definately not historicaly correct by any means, once tuned were quite good shooters. I have been using one of their .67cal. smoothbores for about 25 years and have also made one for my wife. In competition we both have taken prizes from many custom guns and even against rifles.
If you are comfortable building a kit gun you can easily alter them to be much more period correct (there is plenty of wood to hog off and re-shape).I have worked the two we have into rather smart looking indian trade guns.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Toomuch 36 said:
Of the "Ultra-Hi" guns of Japaneese manufacture the locks and trigger assemblies did need some serious attention to get them to working properly.

While definately not historicaly correct by any means, once tuned were quite good shooters. I have been using one of their .67cal. smoothbores for about 25 years and have also made one for my wife. In competition we both have taken prizes from many custom guns and even against rifles.

Toomuch...........Shoot Flint

I've only had my .67 Ultra Hi for 20 years. It will out-shoot a lot of rifles at 50yds. I never had a problem with the lock, but I bought it from a BP gunsmith--who happened to have tuned it up before I bought it. On mine the trigger has a lot of take-up (i.e. "slop", slack, whatever) , but it breaks at about 3 lbs.

About 4 yrs ago I found a spare barrel at the NSSA National Skirmish (an hour away) for $15. I also found a mostly assemble kit of the companion flintlock pistol (also in .67 cal.). The lock is a good sparker and it has virtually the same trigger (though both triggers are short relative to the space between the bottom of the trigger and the inside bottom of the trigger guard.

I'm at a pause finishing up the pistol kit, as I've suffered some really bad health problems in the past 3 years. AND... I've got a ways to go, but am working slowly (i.e. very slowly) at putting that other .67 barrel to use... in a trade gun configuration.

Keep your Ultra-Hi's belching smoke... I never knew a flint smooth-bore could be so much fun!

Always shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

PS JICYW... it was not Cancer, but a combination of Fibromyalgia, Thyroid problems, Diabetes, some "Swedish sounding" Syndrome, Neuropathy, and a whole bunch of symptoms (involving a lot of pain and loss of functionality). People who are healthy really do have everything.

Back