• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indiana Squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I got to take my first game animal with Fearnaught this morning on a squirrel hunt at Indiana's Morgan-Monroe State Forrest. The squirrels there aren't quite as big as the corn-fed Fox Squirrels I'm used to, but this will do. I caught this little fellar cutting some hickory nuts with one of his friends. It was a great morning, but it got hot fast. The wildlife was out and active. I saw an owl grab some little critter out of a tree. Two deer came past me and I got to see a pair of pileated woodpeckers (Woody).

I used my field-friendly squirrel load. A .437 ball, .018 patch lubed with TOTOW mink oil and 30gr of FFFg.

IMG_6489_zps3e2135e0.jpg

Trench said:
I got to take my first game animal with Fearnaught this morning ....
Congratulations, Trench. May it be the first of many.

Spence

You did better than me on all counts.
My hunting was on public land near the Brookville Lake in an area that should have been lousy with squirrels. Mature hardwood with a mixture of maple, beech, hickory, and walnut.
I was hunting with a 20 gauge flintlock. The only one I saw was after I’d moved to a different part of the woods late in the morning. He was stretched out on a limb near the top of a hickory but there was enough of his head and upper body exposed that I took a chance and fired. No idea how close any of the shot came, but it wasn’t close enough. He decided to try another part of the woods as well.
I don’t know if the dry conditions had anything to do with, but I didn’t even see much in the way of any other wildlife. A few songbirds and chipmunks was about it.
Except.
Early on, about ten minutes after I’d found a fallen tree to sit on, I caught a flash of white on the edge of my field of vision, close behind me and moving from left to right. I turned my head to the right enough to get a good look at the skunk that was about two feet behind me. He jumped a little when I moved, but luckily he was in a hurry (as much of a hurry as skunks get anyway) to get someplace else. On the way back to the car, just as the trail started to follow the shore of the lake, I got to watch a loon about thirty feet out in the lake. I think it is as close as I’ve ever been to a loon.
Judging by the hole that gray has twixt his shoulder blades, it looks like you have your accuracy problems ironed out.

Randy, if I had your scattergun, I would have come home with at least three of these guys. Rifle hunting with this much foliage really makes it hard to find your shots. Too bad you weren't in the State Forest!

I had a skunk walk right past me on a squirrel hunt a few years back at my parent's property. It sure does make you nervous.

Next week I'll be hunting Fox Squirrel habitat on my parents property. I can't wait. Need one or two more for a squirrel pie.

George said:
Trench said:
I got to take my first game animal with Fearnaught this morning ....
Congratulations, Trench. May it be the first of many.

Spence

Thank you, Spence. Fearnaught and I will be together until I die, so I'm sure we will share some fine adventures. That reminds me, I've been considering writing up a curse agaisnt any family member who sells Fearnaught after I pass away and puting it in the patchbox. I'll have to get to that. :hmm:

By the way, this super-loose load combination was great in the field. No wiping after three loads and no need for a short starter. I don't think it's much good past 30 yards, though. It'll shoot a ragged hole at 25 yards if you're supported. However, that's plenty enough for squirrels.

Checked in, Hoping to see a squirrel photo and story.
I was not disappointed.
Thanks
PJC

Trench said:
... I've been considering writing up a curse agaisnt any family member who sells Fearnaught after I pass away and puting it in the patchbox.
Excellent idea, and no more than they deserve. :haha:

By the way, this super-loose load combination was great in the field. No wiping after three loads and no need for a short starter. I don't think it's much good past 30 yards, though.
In my hands a tight ball gives the best accuracy, no doubt about it. I'm talking a .400" ball and .015" patch in a .403" bore, for instance. You have to bend some lead to load that, short starter required. However, I also find that I can get excellent accuracy out to 50 yards or so with a combination much less tight than that which I can and do load without a short starter. For hunting I shoot a .395' ball and .012" patch, and that's not exactly loose. I place the patch and ball on the muzzle, lay my butcherknife handle on it and give it a sharp rap with my palm, which moves it down level with the crown. From there it can be rammed, and it will shoot a squirrel in the eye farther than I can.

If you find you need more accuracy in the future you might try experimenting with slightly thicker patches.

Spence

Congrats Trench. Nothin like breakin in a new rifle the proper way. Meat to eat :thumbsup:

Trench said:
I had a skunk walk right past me on a squirrel hunt a few years back at my parent's property. It sure does make you nervous.

I almost let Huck the beagle come with me. I'm really to the tenth power glad I didn't.
There is no way I would have let him in the car, I would never have left him behind, and it would have been a looooooooooong walk home.

Congratulations! Great field break-in for the new rifle!

Really like your hunting garb. I suppose if you wore those nice "City Slicker" clothes you usually have on in pictures, you'd get a few looks in the woods! :shocked2:

Best wishes for many more hunts with Fear Naught.

Waidmannsheil!
as we say :hatsoff:

This is a nice way to get a rifle started.
I had taken a closer look at your fine piece over your story finding the load and other previous posts.

I like your attire, too - nice hat.

Silex

Good shooting Trench!
Your home work is paying off. :thumbsup:
Thanks for taking us along..and good luck with the foxes..
...This helps the urge(sept 15 th opener)
Keep them coming and enjoy the pie!....dan

Get some dirt on those duds! :grin:

Back