• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India Torador Matchlock Wall Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old boy in the shooting position is sighting down the bbl.....finger on the trigger.....with the sharp toe of the buttstock stuck in his shoulder, should have several medics nearby to put what is left of his shoulder and cheek bone after the recoil spins him 360 degrees! The ole boy in front may need to have his jaw bone repositioned and ear ring removed from his cranium. ooooweeeeeeeee!

I wonder what is behind the green door, as the old song went....
It was actually offered in an auction a few months ago. As I recall, it was passed on. They were asking too much on opening bid. Think they mentioned it was about 50-lbs. LOL

Rick

Hey, I didn’t say what you were DOING behind the door! You could be playing cards for all we know!😃
nonsensecover.jpg

I was told by an armourer at the Enfield armoury that they sometimes used old chopped up cine film as ‘powder’ in these muskets. Apparently cine film used to be made from a form of nitro-cellulose so it was fairly combustible. Whether this was true or not is debatable, but the guy did know his stuff so maybe…?
I recall this being done to reload Rolling Block cartridges by Mexico during their revolution

Hi Pukka

That is a real possibility. Never really thought of that. The reuse of old barrels was common during the period. And I would guess especially in that part of the World. With the exception of the decorated barrels, the only marks you see on these barrels are the later - maybe much later (?) are the letters/numbers from capture and/or rack designations.

Somewhere in my library I have a manuscript of how these barrels were made, But I can't remember where I read it. I remember the methods were very primitive including the use of clay and cow dung. LOL I remember coming across this by accident. And it is written from the early 1800's. Darn. I just have to make a concerted effort to find it. I've never seen this published anywhere else.

Rick
Baden Henry Powell in his 1872 Volume 2 of the 'Handbook of the Economic Products of the Punjab' (Hand-book of the economic products of the Punjab, with a combined index and glossary of technical vernacular words .. : Baden-Powell, B. H. (Baden Henry), 1841-1901 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive) pp 285-9 details and illustrates how such rifles were made in the Punjab of the 1860's and would be quite familiar to any American artisan gunmaker of long rifles.

I was told by an armourer at the Enfield armoury that they sometimes used old chopped up cine film as ‘powder’ in these muskets. Apparently cine film used to be made from a form of nitro-cellulose so it was fairly combustible. Whether this was true or not is debatable, but the guy did know his stuff so maybe…?
Indeed it was done but in refilling breech loading cartridges ie .303” with a filed smooth used bullet and primer refilled with red match heads and ground glass. NO DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME! Definitely not for use in matchlocks. Not only are you making smokeless nitro powder but the aged stuff is unstable by now. Old film restorers have to take special safety precautions when restoring old films on nitro cellulose stock and copy it onto new safe film stock for actual use.

Raedwald: Thanks for the additional information. I will read it soon.

I somehow mis-placed the barrel making information someone had sent me years ago. And I couldn't remember who sent it or what book it came from. Fortunately Pukka remembered the book. And, as luck would have it, I found a copy online at a reasonable cost. Sure enough, the original information I was looking for was there (thanks again Pukka).

Rick

Baden Henry Powell in his 1872 Volume 2 of the 'Handbook of the Economic Products of the Punjab' (Hand-book of the economic products of the Punjab, with a combined index and glossary of technical vernacular words .. : Baden-Powell, B. H. (Baden Henry), 1841-1901 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive) pp 285-9 details and illustrates how such rifles were made in the Punjab of the 1860's and would be quite familiar to any American artisan gunmaker of long rifles.
There are better illustrations on:
https://archive.org/details/dli.csl.5189/page/n359/mode/2up

Tob,
India goes from arid to steamy wet, but the damage is consistent it appears.
It would be very interesting to see the bores of some of the guns taken back to England as souvenires after the mutiny, to see if they retained a good bore or not.
The bores of the barrels from Oman are rough usually, but noit As rough as many from India.
I do not know about Persian barrels .
I was reading about Oman last night and if anyone is interested in researching their matchlocks first hand, they do have a collection in their national museum, and more importantly, are apparently a super stable and beautiful country to visit. Who knew!

Allright... still on first cup of coffee....
...more likely playing with old guns. LOL !!!!
Remember the difference from boot camp?
"... this is my rifle, this is my gun! This one's for fighting! This one's for fun!"
Now back to our (ir-) regularly scheduled nonsense...

Have a great day all!

William

I was reading about Oman last night and if anyone is interested in researching their matchlocks first hand, they do have a collection in their national museum, and more importantly, are apparently a super stable and beautiful country to visit. Who knew!
Don’t make the mistake I did in visiting during Ramadan! Difficult to even find a place that will sell you a bottled water during the day!
But the airport sells fancy bandolier belts in the gift shop!
07D46E05-1327-44B8-BC10-417571A35B78.jpeg

Don’t make the mistake I did in visiting during Ramadan! Difficult to even find a place that will sell you a bottled water during the day!
But the airport sells fancy bandolier belts in the gift shop!
View attachment 295332
You are giving Rudyard a run for his money when it comes to being well travelled!

You are giving Rudyard a run for his money when it comes to being well travelled!
He and I have definitely bonded on that, both being overland hitchhikers. Though I’d say he has done it when the world was a more mysterious and romantic place, no internet or blogs to tell you what’s good and what to expect ahead of time. In SouthEast Asia now, where once upon a time I was working as a bartender/tour boat captain. I’ll try to find some relevant guns to post here if I come across any, just one “monkey gun” at a market near the Myanmar border but I didn’t have a my phone on me.

Three (3) Torador Wall type guns just sold at one auction for $200.00 USD each. Appears all 3 were bought by the same bidder. Hope he doesn't require packing and shipping. Would easily double the cost. LOL He was probably local, and the only bidder. These Wall Guns don't bring much at auction.

Cyten: Those Monkey Guns with the long barrels and pistol grips often bring a decent price here in the States. Especially if they have one of those very crude flintlocks.

Rick

Three (3) Torador Wall type guns just sold at one auction for $200.00 USD each. Appears all 3 were bought by the same bidder. Hope he doesn't require packing and shipping. Would easily double the cost. LOL He was probably local, and the only bidder. These Wall Guns don't bring much at auction.

Cyten: Those Monkey Guns with the long barrels and pistol grips often bring a decent price here in the States. Especially if they have one of those very crude flintlocks.

Rick
Can confirm it's similar in the UK. My wall gun was offered at Holts sealed bid and didn't sell, I bought it when the unsold lots were re-offered. I'm not sure anyone wanted to arrange transport for a 9 foot gun!

Toradars are also quite affordable here except for the high end hunting Guns in good condition

my wall gun is plain and tired but the top of the breach end has a few inches of fish scale decoration that may clean up well.

Can confirm it's similar in the UK. My wall gun was offered at Holts sealed bid and didn't sell, I bought it when the unsold lots were re-offered. I'm not sure anyone wanted to arrange transport for a 9 foot gun!

Toradars are also quite affordable here except for the high end hunting Guns in good condition

my wall gun is plain and tired but the top of the breach end has a few inches of fish scale decoration that may clean up well.
It seems the near impossibility of exporting guns helps keep the prices low. I saw they had a Dreyse, in really good condition, that went for at least 1/3 as much as it would have in the US.

Back