• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle Loading Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Bryan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My local NMLRA Club has decided to add a smooth bore match next month with shot and ball. My only smooth bore gun is an antique Belgian 20 gauge side by side. I've only fired it a few times in the past. The discussion yesterday indicated that we'll shoot classic clay pigeons with shot and a man sized outline with ball (at either 25 or 50 yards). This sounds like fun but I'll be a novice with this type of shoot. Are there any recommendations on how I should start? Bill

Attachments

• 20GaugePercussionShotgun2.jpeg
    20GaugePercussionShotgun2.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
You should try to find a few .595 or .600 round ball. You can shoot them patched like you would a rifle. You can use your standard powder/shot loads. Sounds like some sighting in practice is in order so you know where to hold to get the ball close to your bullseye.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I was going to buy some .60 lead balls but I looks like I can buy a Lee mold for the cost of a couple of boxes. I prefer to cast my own anyway. I bought the old Belgian shotgun about 15 years ago when my local club was going to start shooting clay pigeons every month. Nobody else was interested so it just sat after I did some initial patterning. Hopefully I can get some use out of it now. I just took it apart and cleaned and oiled it good. I added a couple of new musket nipples. As soon as the mold comes in I'll try it out. I'm interested to see how accurate it will be. Bill

My SxS shotguns are surprisingly accurate with a round ball. With my antique Robert Chaplain (mfg. 1850's) 13 gauge and a .680 round ball, it will keep both barrels on a paper plate at 40 yards. My 20 gauge Pedersoli, using a .600 ball, is also quite accurate, but the barrels are not regulated well at all. They both shoot good "groups" of about 4" at 40 yards, however, the left barrel hits at POA, while the right is 12" right and 6" low. When deer hunting, I always use the left barrel first, and will only fire the right one, using Kentucky windage, if a quick follow up shot is needed. Fortunately a "long" shot where I hunt is about 20 yards, and most are a lot closer. I load the ball naked on top of a cushion wad, with another on top to hold the ball in place. With shot, I have found the thick cushion wads blow a big hole in the pattern, so I just use a 1/8" nitro card, or 2 over shot wads between powder and shot, with another over shot on top. That is what works for me.

Latest posts

Back