• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In the end , there is no scrap !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enfield

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well - I recently found a 3" cutoff of a .31 squirrel rifle , which a friend of mine sawed off the rifle for his wife , since it was much too muzzle heavy for her .

This was over 30 years ago ...
The barrel was in pristine condition , never shot ...,

What else but a Deringer - style pistol can be made from a piece of scrap like this ???

View attachment 138513View attachment 138514

If You should be interested in my progress , please let me know , I'd be pleased to show more .

BTW - this morning , I fired the first few shots ...

Rgds , enfield

Well - I recently found a 3" cutoff of a .31 squirrel rifle , which a friend of mine sawed off the rifle for his wife , since it was much too muzzle heavy for her .

This was over 30 years ago ...
The barrel was in pristine condition , never shot ...,

What else but a Deringer - style pistol can be made from a piece of scrap like this ???

View attachment 138513View attachment 138514

If You should be interested in my progress , please let me know , I'd be pleased to show more .

BTW - this morning , I fired the first few shots ...

Rgds , enfield
No idea what you loaded. Got message ‘Oops! We ran into some problems’, likely not what you wanted to post.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

I hope , You can see now ... Sorry

After LOTS of filing to shape , I made the breech / plug / tang screw , shaped the nipple drum , cut the thread for the nipple , drilled the touch hole and silver soldered the underlug

20220414_135252.jpg

The hardest part was to file the hammer from some mild steel , since there are some tiny radiusses , which I could only shape with jewelers needle files .
I tried to engrave it a little , but had to learn , that this is an art , which I REALLY don't master ...
Perhaps I shouldn't have tried with my Dremel ...
But after case hardening , it looked OK for me .

Since there is not much room for a leaf spring , I decided to install a coil main spring .

I also decided ( not only for easening the project , but also to avoid a too deep mortise and loss of wood ) to make the lock without a bridle . But the sear and searspring screw have shoulders , which bear against the lockplate for positive fit .

The tumbler and the sear are made of C-45 , the lockplate of 90MnCrV8 , hardened in oil and tempered to spring hardnes .

4.jpg5.jpg

Well - if I compare my attempts to build my very first classic pistol ( really different to my beloved Ruggles style underhammers ) with the gorgeous work of davec2 , I really should fall ashamed !
In the end , my result will be a " poor man's pocket gun " ...

8.jpg7.jpg

But for saving a little bit of my honour : Each entire part , incl. screws , pins , springs etc. I've built myself , freehand and eyeballed !

Waste not want not, as to skill there are many different levels and results, I like what I see so far and as you stated the parts were and are made buy your hand, to me that is the mark of a well versed craftsman.

Latest posts

Back