• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Impressed enough to build one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
1704298708253.png
IMG_20240103_111258146_HDR.jpg

These pics, and a couple more are from another thread on here. See "A Cooper or" by Colonial Boy in the Original Firearms forum.
I love the looks of it so much that I would like to build one, and a matching long gun.

Last edited:
That pistol has about the simplest mechanism there could be and still function! I don't know if it would work good for a rifle where you want to take careful aim and let off the shot without any movement of the gun.
The underhammer rifle is real nice - I like those too. That one doesn't have the type of "lock" that the pistol does though.

Things that make you go Hmmm. A double action only single shot muzzle loading underhammer pistol, boy that's a mouth full.
I agree that it wouldn't make a really good rifle. But, I could see it making a really nifty shotgun.

On Coopers the spring pivots at the muzzle. The trigger returns to the "unfired" position, the nipple is capped, then the spring is pivoted back making the gun ready to fire.

This has the gears turning in my head....62 double barrel. What to do, what to do🍻

This is the first time I've ever seen this design. It looks like Cooper had only one thing in mind when creating this. Simplicity. I often love simple things far more than anything that is complicated. A certain beauty in it. I'm really not so sure it would impede aim much, if the spring weight can be kept low enough and still set a cap off. The correct balance would have to be found in that regard. Genius design, as far as simplicity. The grip looks terrible however and does not seem to be something one could hold very well.

Latest posts

Back