• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm working on a hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin Rhea

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I decided to make a hawk. I've made several and I guess I got cocky. I thought I'd just breeze right through it. I messed up two in a row. :doh:

I reassessed my process and eased into a third one. I think it will be good so I can show a few pictures of the process. Past the danger point.

You can see the high carbon bit laying beside the preform.

I insert the bit and weld it and draw it out being sure to work the material wider as it comes out.

This the head with a little profiling and during the last cycling of the heat for grain reduction.

You can see the high carbon bit as darker within the blade.

I still have some work to do on it.

When I see fine craftsmanship like this, it makes the little green demon of jealousy rise up with in me. I know I could do that if I had a few things first, such as...tools, material and, oh yes.....the skill. Yep, those few things are all I lack. :haha:

Yes sir it's Hickory. I just heated a round bar in the forge and marked it up a little and put on some linseed oil.

Thanks.

You're skilled. Nice hawk. Hope to try this some day. Been gathering the tools. Inspired.

Back