• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Im trying to not ask to much and be a pest.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
But one question. I'm going to start on my 40 cal Vincent. My question is what file should I get to draw file the barrel ? It's a Colerain barrel. I'm going to buy a new file because I want to do the best work I can. I have a well used Nicolson mill badtard. It's went through the ringer and needs replaced. Tankyou very much

I got this basic list from a source I can't locate, presently. Anyway, on my most recent project, I found these items sufficient.

Files– 10 or 12 inch mill file
1/4 inch wide pillar file
1/4 inch three square file
Electric Drill and Bits–
3/32 inch
1/16 inch
1/8 inch
5/64 inch

Flat mill bastard.

Now, maybe I am the one asking the stupid question, but why are you draw-filing a presumably new barrel?
Most barrels have production scratches and inperfections when they go though the milling process. The draw filing cleans up the flats and just makes a better looking end result.
Larry

Most barrels have production scratches and inperfections when they go though the milling process. The draw filing cleans up the flats and just makes a better looking end result.
Larry
Thanks. Somehow I thought that a barrel I might order would be a finished drop-in part. Now I know better.

I bought a box of these for draw filing barrels. I am not endorsing the ebay store, just he files.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1600634731?iid=402644473075If you operate the file well you will not need or want a super fine cut file. I use the ones above. It makes steel wool cuttings. I then work it with maroon scotchbrite then brown. There is no need to be overly obsessive, the brown will etch the surface.

I achieved good result on my Colerain barrel with various grades of aluminum oxide sand paper and a sanding block. Started with 120 grit, the 240 and finally 320 grit paper. The barrel was smoothed enough to remove all the scratches but not so smooth that the browning solution would not grip. Laurel Mountain forge browning liquid brought the barrel up to a nice shade of brown.

Nicholson 12" Mill Bastard file, but just about any quality Mill Bastard file will work. It's common practice to draw file the barrel. I can finish one in about an hour.

FWIW Jim Kibler has excellent 'how to' videos (on YouTube under 'Kibler's Longrifles') on draw filing! Even better, he recommends 'Bahco' brand mill files and I bought 1 each of the 8" 2-0 and 3-0 mill cut files ($12-$15 each) that he recommends ... and they cut waaaaaaaay FASTER than any other file I've ever owned! Even better than any $20 or more US-branded ones I hate to say!

FWIW Jim Kibler has excellent 'how to' videos (on YouTube under 'Kibler's Longrifles') on draw filing! Even better, he recommends 'Bahco' brand mill files and I bought 1 each of the 8" 2-0 and 3-0 mill cut files ($12-$15 each) that he recommends ... and they cut waaaaaaaay FASTER than any other file I've ever owned! Even better than any $20 or more US-branded ones I hate to say!
Absolutely. I have a Bahco and use it EXCLUSIVELY for draw filing barrels. It touches no other parts at any time. Produces a great finish and browns beautifully.

Thanks everyone. This barrel shows machine marks quite a bit. But I can get it. It's just been awhile since I had a barrel that needed this much work. HERES the barrel and the rib. The rib is bowed quite a bit. I will have to heat it to straighten. Tried on my work bench but it acts like it's spring steel. I know it's not.lol

Attachments

• IMG_20230131_132659.jpg
    IMG_20230131_132659.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I use both an 8” and 10” single cut mill bastard file. They are both old, USA made Nicholson’s. Only use them for draw filing. Either of these lengths will work but I prefer the 10” because I can shift the file over for more cuts before cleaning. Mainly, insure the file is a single cut, you do not want a double cut. And you want a medium/bastard cut. And just a quick tip, if you’re pulling toward yourself keep the file handle end to the left, if pushing, keep it to the right. Keep it flat and just enough of an angle to take a good bite. You’ll feel the correct angle. And yes, new barrels have horrible vertical machine marks that must be removed for a decent finished barrel.

Thankyou sir. Do you prefer pushing away or drawing the file toward you. I've done this tears ago but can't remember. I guess whatever feels natural right.I really appreciate the detail in your post. Helps alot.

If I only buy one Bacho file to start which one do you reccomend? Thanks

Thankyou sir. Do you prefer pushing away or drawing the file toward you. I've done this tears ago but can't remember. I guess whatever feels natural right.I really appreciate the detail in your post. Helps alot.
I prefer to pull, but with a long barrel there are times I have to push too. Glad to help.

Back