• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Igniting a failing flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melnic

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK,
Not sure if this has been asked before but how might one ignite a failing flintlock?
So far I have been lucky that all my misfires, I have been able to deal with by just cocking again and firing.

At my range, they call cease fires every 30 minutes. They make everyone wait until any muzzleloader is cleared. I've always been able to get out of trouble quickly w/ my percussions but now that I'm planning to spend more time on flintlocks, I need some knowledge. Lets say I can not get my flintlock powder to ignite or the powder will not ignite from a well flashing pan ignition.
What are some tips for getting the ball out the gun?

Scenerio #1
Lets start off with the flint will not spark. Is it as simple and carrying around with me a punk stick or one of those long tipped lighters to ignite the powder in the pan?

Scenario #2
Dry ball/Powder charge will not ignite. My 36 cal cub flintlock has a screw able touch hole, but I have to remove the lock to unscrew it. Do I remove it, drop powder in and try again?

Thx

"Do what jackley said. But I would not carry around a punk lite or try to set off a flintlock with a lighter"

That might get you run off from the range, an open flame is dangerous around black powder.

Scenerio #1
Lets start off with the flint will not spark.

Keep a spare flint with a leather super glued to it and a screw driver handy. Only takes a minute to replace a cranky flint.

For the first scenario, when I am having a long range session, after a while I will get a failure to ignite the pan, the first thing I do is re-cock and have another go. if that doesn't work I look at the leading edge of the flint. The cause is usually readily apparent, there will be a shiny spot on the edge and a closer look will show it stands just proud of the rest of that edge. I carry a little napping hammer with me, place a finger tip firmly under the flint edge and lightly tap it with the hammer, especially where the shiny dull spot is. Done right, when you remove your finger there will be a bunch of flakes and your flint will be sharp enough to get you out of your dilemma right quick. You'll get a feel for it real quick. Hope this helps.
Robin

Had my mainspring break when the cock was pulled to full-cock at a match several years ago. The Range safety officer ordered me to knap my flint, pick the touch hole, and re-prime. My comment (Duh!) nearly got me thrown out. Lucky for me a friend brought me a length of glowing slow-match. Since then I carry match cord in my range box. Of course, it has never happened again.

Scenerio #1
Lets start off with the flint will not spark.

Keep a spare flint with a leather super glued to it and a screw driver handy. Only takes a minute to replace a cranky flint.
If the flint doesn't spark the first try to re nap the flint. There are several Videos on you tube on how to do this That is if the flint is installed correctly if not re position the flint. I have turned the flint over to create better sparks.

The safest way I know to clear my flintlock gun - for whatever reason - is the use of my CO2 discharger ... It is also fast if you have the gismo handy.
When in no hurry I re-knap my flint or replace it by a new one ... Then pick my charge re-prime and fire.
Also - keep the flint not only sharp but also clean - I wipe it often with a damp patch wet with alcohol or windscreen fluid or anti freeze fluid...

Back