• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you just ordered a pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotten cut by Ruger "unmentionable " revolvers, they have sharp edges too.

Pietta and Uberti make these to a price point, they also know that 90% of users will hardly fire them.
yea but rugers cost 800-1100 for a revolver. BP Italian guns are under 300 most of them

ANY new percussion revolver, from any Italian maker you purchase is going to need a good workover before any kind of use. Before I even cock a new revolver, I disassemble it, give the parts a thorough cleaning & inspection to see what's inevitably going to need a good deburring & polishing. You're simply not going to get a finely fitted, flawlessly functioning revolver at the price these guns sell for.
I have a friend who does that with anything almost; gets a new bike? does the same thing. I've been impressed with the Percussion Revolver knowledge on this site.

I do the same thing when I buy a car or truck. take the engine and trans apart clean polish and reassemble :ghostly:
I can't even change my own Oil anymore; they make it hard due to the fancy plugs, and getting rid of the old oil is problematic. I used to wonder, as a kid, why old guys never did their own maintenance; now that I'm old, I know why! Even "spark plugs" don't have 'wires' anymore! But in any big crowded area, I'm probably the only guy who knows how to load and shoot a muzzleloader!! :)

QC suffered because of the Pandemic? My Lion's club activities income went down because of the Pandemic, we simply skipped fund raisers for most of 2020. Then last year, we skipped some, but others did extremely well. So last night the Treasurer announces that because of the Pandemic we made a lot more than we had hoped than prior years. Huh? I also saw a union report about how McDonalds made a record profit the last two years because of the Pandemic. (Ours closed last fall, went out of business due to the Pandemic shut downs and loss of help.) Everybody finds a way to attribute losses or gains to the Pandemic. Very Ironic.

QC suffered because of the Pandemic? My Lion's club activities income went down because of the Pandemic, we simply skipped fund raisers for most of 2020. Then last year, we skipped some, but others did extremely well. So last night the Treasurer announces that because of the Pandemic we made a lot more than we had hoped than prior years. Huh? I also saw a union report about how McDonalds made a record profit the last two years because of the Pandemic. (Ours closed last fall, went out of business due to the Pandemic shut downs and loss of help.) Everybody finds a way to attribute losses or gains to the Pandemic. Very Ironic.
The country of Italy had one of the worst harm from the pandemic. I gotta think it affected the factories and workers of our beloved replica gun industry!

When you say "polish" do you mean putting some jeweler's rouge on cloth and rubbing down the parts, especially the edges? Which parts in particular need attention? Do you need to blue the metal afterwards? I just bought a used Pietta 1858, but I don't think it was ever fired. There are no marks on the frame, lever or cylinders. The grips do not line up exactly with the frame, however.

As a brand new purchased gun one should tear it down for a thorough cleaning and to remove all packing oil and any metal shavings or debris from manufacturing. Then check for internal burs and rough surface spots. I use inexpensive emery boards to smooth out things that are too sharp or have burs. I also have a set of jewelers files to work on the sharp edges on the hammer face and fangs as Mike Beliveau calls them. It’s actually fun and relaxing to do.

Back