• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideal single trigger pull weight ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on what the ideal trigger pull weight should be on a single trigger rifle ? I realize a lot of that depends on its use, i.e. hunting rifle, target rifle, general use. etc. and the shooter behind the gun. But for a general use/ hunting /wood walks rifle; what's your thoughts on what you would consider "ideal" -Thanks

In my reading of gun writers IIRC most recommended a pull weight of 3-1/2 to 4 lbs. A certain safety factor is included in those opinions. Those weights work for me as general purpose but I have developed a very sensitive trigger finger and I prefer my trigger to be around 2-1/2 lb. For what it's worth my set triggers are in the 0.5-.75 range.

general use. etc. and the shooter behind the gun.
I'm with @morehops52 100%.
I like mine really light, but there are a lot of idiots out there.
It would fail this forum to make a recommendation of general use that's beyond all safety protocol.
Keep it 3-5#.

p.s. i've never needed to use a trigger scale to measure MY triggers. I just know how I like them to break. I have used trigger scales as an RO for safety reasons.

Forgot to mention that I have one rifle that I have worked on the lock to get the weight down. It's currently at 6+ lb and I am not happy with that trigger yet so I will be working on it over the winter. I consider anything over 4-1/2 lb to be a hard trigger.

If the trigger doesn't get your attention one way or the other then it's just right.
The guns I’ve built all have less than 4 lb triggers. Depending on intended use sometimes less. None less than 2.5 lb. due to possible winter use. I don’t do set triggers, I feel they are a safety problem waiting to happen. BJH

2lbs is the perfect happy medium for me. I don’t really see any safety issues with a light trigger. If it’s well made it shouldn’t go off until you touch it.

I like a 2 1/2 to 3 lb. pull. The rifle I finished a couple months back came in at about 1 1/2 lb. which I think is kind of too light for hunting but would be nice as a target rifle.

I like a 2 1/2 to 3 lb. pull. The rifle I finished a couple months back came in at about 1 1/2 lb. which I think is kind of too light for hunting but would be nice as a target rifle.
My number one concern cold fingers in Pa late flintlock season. We sometimes have temperatures below zero. I’ve often been out in temperatures low enough for ice to form in my beard from my breath. BJH

Depends on what you are going to use it for. Really light triggers are good for target shooting. Not so good for hunting. Gun I am building now has trigger pull about 8 pounds. Just right for that gun.

Back