• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is your method to combat offhand wobble?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your method to combat offhand wobble?​

A tree.
Ditto to tree :thumb:
If no tree is available obtain a well balanced rifle with a broad butt to avoid flinching & a weight where you can fire repeated shots in matches without getting the wobbles....
My personal solution was big bore Jaegers with swamped barrels averaging 7.5 lbs with traditional fast twist rifling averaging one turn in length of barrel.
That combo required lower powder charges providing superb accuracy in 100 yd. competition & knock down power on big game.
.:horseback: Relic shooter

My fav old timer before my bod got too vintage to shoot long guns.:confused:

Attachments

• Danish Jaeger img 2403.JPG
    Danish Jaeger img 2403.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 0
IF I start to develop a wobble I go back to my tournament archery days. Stare intently where I want the arrow(bullet in this case). to go. Just stare at the bullseye ... the front sight will automatically go to where the eye is looking. When it gets there I pull the trigger. Works great for me..... just not as well as it used to as I am in my 70s now and my eyes are not what they used to be.. This method does work though.

We all know that practice in our sport will make us a better shot. This post is asking what do you do to combat any wobble when shooting offhand?

Learned to properly shoot 4 position rimfire. Including proper use of a sling.

Get a decent 22 setup and attend an appleseed shoot

At my age------NOTHING!
But back in the day I learned to never MAKE the gun fire as you cross the bull. Keep squeezing until the gun goes off my itself. Firget a small wobble as you will hit closer then if you pull the trigger. Follow through.

Marines taught to make a very small figure 8. Get into a rhythm and pull the trigger at some point when you come back to center. Provided you have time.

I guess they did not put slings on long rifles because the rifle's length would have been a problem. I am pondering some sort of temporary, tied or wrapped on the gun, sling for plinking/targets.
Shooting with a sling in basic training was a revelation.

Jaw knot, basically a leather strip with a knot tied in one end and the other end fastened to the trigger guard, adjusted to length so the knot can be held with you jaw teeth while maintaining pressure on the attached leather to the trigger guard.

Just the elbow is supported by the chest and the weight is shifted forward by the displacement of the left-hand position towards the trigger guard...
That is what I do with my two Pedersoli Tryon can't do it another way (I'm 75 years old) and it works well...

Jaw knot, basically a leather strip with a knot tied in one end and the other end fastened to the trigger guard, adjusted to length so the knot can be held with you jaw teeth while maintaining pressure on the attached leather to the trigger guard.
Another name for a chaw strap, not allowed in the matches around here.

A lot of target shooters, myself included, prefer a rifle that is going to be muzzle heavy. It seems to me if you are trying to get a shot off as you move across a target that your going to be jerking the trigger instead of squeezing it.

Ya know, every now and then there’s those days when I shake like a dog trying to pass a peach seed. Whenever I encounter such, I go home, clean my ML and put it away for another day. Sometimes I even take a drink of Jim Beam afterwards. That most always makes things better. Well, at least I don’t care about it anymore. 😁

Back