• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideal rate of twist for a .58 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40calFlintlock

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Last year, I purchased Jim Chambers Early Lancaster Rifle Kit. Will be purchasing the barrel in 2023.

What I want to know is, what rate of twist is ideal for a .58cal, 1-48”, 1-66”, or somewhere in between?

I built the Chambers Lancaster and at the time, Getz was making the barrels used by Jim. I spoke to Getz in PA and told them I wanted to shot mostly PRB for fun, but also wanted to shoot conical during hunting season. He suggested a twist somewhere in the middle. I think mine is around1/56 but I can’t recall exactly. It shoots both very well, I can tell you that.
Question, how are you building the rifle without the barrel? Usually fitting the breach and swamped barrel comes first, before lock, trigger, etc.

My 58 has a gain twist that starts at 1 in 80 at the breech and terminates at the muzzle at 1 in 48. The rifle is very accurate. You might also consider how you plan to use the rifle. If you want it for hunting, you will likely shoot heavier loads. If for targets, or fun shoots you might want to use less powder to be nice to your shoulder. A slower twist might give you a wider range of charges that produce good accuracy with heavy loads. A faster twist will likely require less powder to give accurate results but may be a little more finicky on the heavy charge end.

I had a 58cal 31" Getz jaeger style barrel with a 1 in 96 twist. Extremely accurate with 100gr 2F any less would not stabilze ball. Hunting load was .570 ball with 140gtr 2F

Thank you everyone.
Ordered a Rice Bbl with 1-66”, sq bottom rifling. Because it was an ‘obsolete’ style, 8-10mo wait time.

Back