• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Idaho Decides traditional only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the news today...

Idaho commission muzzles some hunting rifles

Rich Landers
Staff writer
January 19, 2007

It's gun today, gone tomorrow for some Idaho muzzleloader hunters under new rules adopted Jan. 11 by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission.

David Vig of Careywood, for example, was thrilled with the $1,000 muzzleloader hunting rifle his wife gave him for Christmas. But before he had a chance to try it out, the commission outlawed his and other muzzleloaders with in-line ignition systems for use in Idaho's special muzzleloader hunting seasons.

Though they shoot black powder and are loaded with a ramrod, guns like Vig's just aren't primitive enough, the commission decided.

"My wife just bought me a brand new gun that would have been legal to use last season, but now it's not good for anything but hanging on the wall," said Vig, 70, a lifelong North Idaho resident who's been hunting since he was old enough to buy a license.

Sporting goods stores stocked with certain modern-design muzzleloaders suddenly have inventory they're not likely to sell in Idaho, or even in Washington and Oregon where those guns already had been banned from use in muzzleloader seasons.

Much like archers, muzzleloaders have been given special seasons at choice periods because the traditional primitive weapons are much less dependable than modern firearms. With a maximum range of about 100 yards and ignition systems prone to getting wet and not firing, muzzleloader hunters have been much less likely to bag a deer or elk than hunters with modern rifles.

However, advances in modern muzzleloader design have increased the range, accuracy and efficiency too much, the Idaho commission said.

"It came down to drawing the line on how efficient a muzzleloader could be or the commission would be looking at changing the special seasons," explained Jim Hayden, Idaho Fish and Game Department regional wildlife manager in Coeur d'Alene.

About 48 percent of hunters polled on the agency Web site and at meetings in towns such as St. Maries, Silver Valley and Coeur d'Alene said they preferred to restrict special muzzleloader seasons to traditional weapons while about 41 percent opposed such restrictions, he said.

Muzzleloader hunters have had little advantage in Idaho elk hunts, but their success rates in some areas for deer have been getting significantly higher than archers and modern firearms hunters, state survey statistics show.

"We sold most of our guns and don't have a lot left over, so the new rules won't hurt us too much," said Rob Smith, manager of the Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene.

"But this was a surprise to us. It would have been nice if they had let us have six months or a year to get out of our inventory. (Smaller stores) don't have the option a big-box store has to ship their guns to another state where they are legal."

The rules adopted by the commission require, among other things, that muzzleloaders use all-lead bullets, open sights and loose black or synthetic black powder. The weapon must have an exposed, pivoting hammer and an exposed ignition using only flint or percussion-type caps.

Southern Idaho already has had some muzzleloader seasons designated for traditional black-powder guns, but the rule is new to the Panhandle.

Vig said he owns a traditional muzzleloader, but he's steamed that he can't use his new Knight .52-cal. rifle.

"I think (the commission) overstepped by making something illegal when it's been legal for years," he said. "If they're concerned that they're killing too many animals, they should go like Washington and make hunters choose whether their going to hunt with archery, muzzleloader or rifle rather than letting them buy a tag for all three hunts."

Several sporting goods store owners said they might have trouble finding a variety of traditional muzzleloaders to put on their shelves for the 2007 seasons.

"Part of it is demand," Smith said, "but manufacturers are going to build what sells the most. In-line muzzleloaders are legal in the East, and one county in Pennsylvania has more muzzleloader hunters than all of Idaho and Oregon."

But Western states seem to favor sticking by their traditional guns for special hunts that Eastern states don't have, Hayden said, noting that Colorado drew the line on muzzleloader advances about 10 years ago.

"If you look at the Internet, you realize there's no end to where technology would go with muzzleloaders," he said. "One muzzleloader Web site (for Ultimate Firearms, Inc.) opens with a headline, "Put 'Em in a Pile at a Quarter Mile."
[url] http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=8461[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
451whitworth said:
Blackfoot said:
Awesome! Now if more states would do this things would get less crowded.
:thumbsup:
IMO this has always been the real reason of the trad. vs inline debate.
Could you clarify that for me? Are you saying you think traditionalists only want the deer for themselves, or did I misunderstand your statement? Just wondering...

I am thinking about someone I know who may have Lyme Disease. He is unsure of what the symptoms are as he is a recent arrival to Massachusetts. Where he lives near the coast and islands, Lyme is rampant. It is also crowded, human wise .

Nantucket Island has up to 60 deer per square mile. The state has wanted to reduce it to a more healthy level and address the fact that it has the highest Lyme disease rate anywhere.

Inlines are very much welcomed there to solve that issue. Hunters are needed to solve the problem. Fewer hunters aren't going to do anything positive.

It would seem that in states that need to harvest more deer there could still be a primitive ML season and a season for any ML or shotgun or whatever, no matter what the deer popu;ation is it would be a good thing to have a seperate primitive ML season even if it is additional to other types of ML seasons, the main reason for this is to keep the modern guns and the original type segregated so that the modern ML guns as they continue to be more like centerfires in capabilities and the old type do not become one and the same in the eyes of the law and the public perception else when the modern stuff goes to far and gets whcked by the BATF the old stuff is not dragged down as well and the segrgation will help preserve the historical heritage of the real MLs, there is a place for both but each must have its own identity and definable qualities, and place in the hunting world, there is no valid claim that having a season for primitive MLs only will interfere with game managment as more tags would actually be avaiable with a seperate primitive only season.

I about fell off my chair at the idea of a new inline designed with a sidehammer lock so that someone could shoot 150 grains of 3f under a ballet!!!!!!. If they buy one they deserve it! 1.5 times bore diameter doesn't lend itself to much improvement over a sidelock with a ballet no matter what you do! Magnum ballet loads!

I did a lot of target shooting with my scoped inline and I personally would not shoot more that 150 yards. Maybe the stories written by these people shooting 200 yards or more must be better shots than I am.

I found that even with a 150 grain charge and a sabot, I wouldn't feel too comfortable with a shot at 150 yards or more. The 150 is the absolute, standing still, no wind , broadside target shot I would take. I saw the drop from 100 to 150 on the scope( 2.5 x Burris) and said to myself,"Where do these writers come off on writing about 200+ yard shots.This is still a 100 to 150 at best gun."

I know many people want to keep within a certain spirit of muzzleloading but ballistically speaking, given equal powder charge and projectile, the power will be the same out of an inline or a sidelock. It is really the image that changes.

As far as reliability, I have a brass cap cover that I use for my TC Hawken and Kahnke pistols. All I have to do is pop it off and it is dry as a bone.

"I know many people want to keep within a certain spirit of muzzleloading but ballistically speaking, given equal powder charge and projectile, '

this is the issue, keeping within the spirit of ML shooting/hunting, that is why modern projectiles and sights are not part of the equation, and many modern ML shooters seem very comfortable with 200 yds plus shote with the modern bullets and peeps or scopes that is why it is a different sport when compared to the rb with open sights and 75-100 yds practical range these are two dufferent types of equipment how the look is not an issue, and they should be in seperate seasons.

451whitworth said:
I have been following this ID thing close on several websites. it is totally fascinating how emotional both sides are. if I lived in ID and only had an inline i would just use this as an excuse to buy a new toy.
:rotf:
:thumbsup:

bigbore442001 said:
"...but I see from Kahnke Gun Works, he has an inline action with a pivoting hammer..."
If I'm not mistaken, that is not actually a functioning hammer...looks only...I understand the ignition still comes from an inline striker

I own a Kanhke single shot handgun and the hammer does work. The rifle is the same in action. The removable breech plug is threaded for a percussion cap nipple at about a 45 degree angle and the hammer is set in the center of the frame rather than off to the side .

The hammer ignites the percussion cap directly in line with the charge of powder. It is really a fun gun to shoot.

There is no striker like a Knight or TC.

:hmm: I guess that means if the hammer is "in line" with the cap & powder charge, it's not a side lock...it's an i-n-l-i-n-e...like the TC Scout is an i-n-l-i-n-e. :shocked2:

The regulations don't say that the percussion cap has to take a turn to hit the powder. All it states is that it has to have a pivoting hammer. Thus it would be legal.

If you think about it, an underhammer like the Zephyr Rifle is the same in operation as the Kahnke, but the hammer is beneath the barrel instead of on top.

Do I misunderstand the status of firearms in Idaho, or can a "muzzleloader" not be used at all during the regular season? Read the quotes below, why are these people complaining? If I misunderstood, then all of the quotes from the last article show how these individuals think about muzzleloaders - simply as "cheaters" to extend deer season, and further illustrates the logic behind the new regulations.

"My wife just bought me a brand new gun that would have been legal to use last season, but now it's not good for anything but hanging on the wall,"

SOOOOO, you'd never consider this gun during regular season?!?!?!

Vig said he owns a traditional muzzleloader, but he's steamed that he can't use his new Knight .52-cal. rifle.

Again, you can't use it during regular season?

"If you look at the Internet, you realize there's no end to where technology would go with muzzleloaders," he said. "One muzzleloader Web site (for Ultimate Firearms, Inc.) opens with a headline, "Put 'Em in a Pile at a Quarter Mile."

That's just wrong in my eyes. I think they are cheaters, all of 'em. Cheers to Idaho for upholding the spirit of the season.

I love my sidelocks and recently got my first flintlock,however I have 2 knights and a white that i fully intend to use in the short range and any weapon seasons.I don't get what all the sniveling is about.I prefer shooting my sidelocks but enjoy all my firearms.

Wapiti Wacker said:
I love my sidelocks and recently got my first flintlock,however I have 2 knights and a white that i fully intend to use in the short range and any weapon seasons.I don't get what all the sniveling is about.I prefer shooting my sidelocks but enjoy all my firearms.

Wack the Wapiti with a flint/sidelock :)

"but enjoy all my firearms"

so do all shooters and hunters, and there has been no sniveling just a desire to have certain hunting equipment designated to certain seasons, it is a pretty simple concept that has just gotten out of control with the advancing ML technology that has put some guns that load from the front into a position that they belong in another catagory/season.Every thing has its place and some states are trying to get things back where they belong, just a re-adjustment, rarely is there anywhere that a type of gun is banned it must just be used in the appropriate season,and such adjustments should be healthy for the sport of traditional hunting and should not hurt the modern ML hunters as they are still used in other seasons.We cannot take a M-16 into a duck blind but it can be used for target practice and small game in many areas, many such stipulations exist in many season descriptions.

Back