• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Idaho Decides traditional only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
I Emailed the article to the NC WRC with comments of encouragement that we might one day get our seasons restored to their original intent & purpose as Idaho has done, etc...
I'm going to do the same for Maryland . :thumbsup:

Who said these "non side lock" types of guns were more efficient? I've seen folks shooting these at the local range. They can't hit a bull in the butt at 50 yards with them.... :shake:
I've never seen the advantage of these types of guns over a well made flint lock. The only advantage may come in if the gun is mounted with a scope, otherwise they are all hype.

Too bad this leaves us roundball guys hanging unless we shoot a .62 or larger. :cursing:

-Ray

So has everybody e-mailed Idaho fish and game thanking them for their decision?Maybe other states will follow in their foot steps.

SimonKenton said:
Too bad this leaves us roundball guys hanging unless we shoot a .62 or larger. :cursing:

-Ray

Ray, did you read the link? You're good to go on deer/antelope w 45 cal and elk/bear/moose with 50 cal. Looks like PRB or bore size lead conicals for projectiles. Side locks or underhammers, flint or percussion.

The below is lifted right from the link above:

"The new rules require that muzzleloaders must:
- Use all-lead bullets at least within 10/1,000 of the bore diameter.
- Have open sights, and use only loose black powder or synthetic black powder.
- Have an exposed, pivoting hammer and an exposed ignition using only flint, musket caps or percussion caps.

Muzzleloading weapons also must be at least .45 caliber for deer, antelope or mountain lion; and at least .50 caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat or black bear."

Mad Professor :thumbsup:

Edit. Wow, one thing I didn't think of was the 10/1000 of bore diameter? This might make getting a legal ball patch combo tricky; .535 ball would be O.K. but a .530 too small in a .54 E.g. .5346 is 990/1000 ths of bore dia of a .54. Wonder if the wardens will carry calipers to check things......
:hmm:

The Colorado DOW tried this a few years ago, and the inline manufacturers squeaked so loud that they recinded the regs. Hope that doesn't happen in Idaho.
Note, too, in the archery regs that they allow 85%(!) letoff for bows. How is that even archery?

Anyway, good on ya, Idaho. maybe other states will follow suit.

I really don't have any problem with the inlines, per se. My main beef is that they try to duplicate centerfires by using, essentially, pistol bullets loaded over WAY too much powder. If they want to hunting with loose powder and ball or lead conical, more power to them. In that sense, they are on a more level playing field. Plus, I think that sales of Advil and Bengay (sp?) for all those dislocated shoulders would fall a mite.

On the "external, pivoting hammer" bit, doesn't that include some of the inline designs? Seems like a lot resemble T/C Scouts and such.

I kind of agree that Maryland and the adjacent areas like Northern Virginia would rather see a lot less deer. It seems here abouts that more deer are killed by V-6's than inline four cylinders. :winking:

BRUN said:
So has everybody e-mailed Idaho fish and game thanking them for their decision?Maybe other states will follow in their foot steps.

Yes, I have thanked them. (http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/inc/contact.cfm)

I also voiced concern that the 10/1000ths projectile restriction would make many patch/ball combos illegal (.490 in a .50, .530 in a .54, .570 in a .58, .610 in a .62).

Has anyone else considered this? How many of you use these size balls as your go to load for hunting?

Guess that would require the warden to have you pull the load and mic it. Or would he have you show him an unloaded projectile? Seems hard to enforce that provision.

Mad Professor said:
I also voiced concern that the 10/1000ths projectile restriction would make many patch/ball combos illegal (.490 in a .50, .530 in a .54, .570 in a .58, .610 in a .62).
If I'm not mistaken all the comparisons you listed are exactly 10/1000ths (or if you like , 1/100) difference :winking: .

Thanks for the info Birddog. I'll forward this to the powers that be in California. They allow inlines and sabots but not scopes. GW

patch knife said:
Mad Professor said:
If I'm not mistaken all the comparisons you listed are exactly 10/1000ths (or if you like , 1/100) difference :winking: .

Actually, all those balls are LESS than 0.99 bore size (990/1000ths) so under new rules would be illegal. E.g. 990/1000ths = 45 cal 0.4455, 50 cal 0.495, 54 cal 0.5346, 58 cal 0.5742, 62 cal 0.6138. Anything smaller in the above calibers is too small. Maybe something more reasonable would have been 0.97 bore size so loads that require a thicker patches could be accommidated?

I'm not sure what the penalties are but if you ran into a Warden who got up on the wrong side of the bed he might try to bust your %$#@s.............. :v

grey whiskers said:
:hmm: I read it as within .010" of bore diameter. Wouldn't that be .490" for a .50 caliber and .440" for a .45 caliber?
Yes, that was my interpretation too

I hope everyone on this website copies the announcement and sends it ot their state's WRC...I did for North Carolina and I urge the rest of the North Carolinians here to do that as well

Latest posts

Back