• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ID help, please?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trent/OH

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Last weekend I picked up a pistol which I've been unable to identify. Can anyone help?

It's a Kentucky style, 40 caliber (Mic'ed .405") flintlock with a 9 3/4" blued barrel. The lockplate has no markings. It has a roller frizzen. The top of the barrel is marked Turner Kirkland and Belgium. There are some proof marks on the flat between the top flat and the vent hole. There is another mark opposite the ventliner. It is half obscured by the stock, but appears to include the script letters E and G. The brass sideplate is nicely engraved, and holds the lock with a single screw. The tang is brass and similarly marked. Behind the tang is a small unadorned shield.
The stock has a plain brass nosecap which ends 1/4" short of the muzzle. The butt is capped with a brass cap. The butt cap, triggerguard, and thimbles are plain. The wood to metal fit is very good.

I wish I'd kept my older Dixie Gun Works catalogs. It's not in my 1992 edition.
Anybody know how old this pistol is, and what it's worth, or what it sold for for new? Thanks.

I would guess it was made in the 60's...
I had a couple of the earlier T. Kirkland derringers and they were made then and his name was stamped on the barrel top.
as to worth? I dunno....photos would help.

Does it look anything like this picture from Dixie's 1964 catalogue?

DSC05848.jpg
[/img]

trent/OH said:
... but appears to include the script letters E and G.....

Crowned ELG over * in oval = definitive BP proof for muzzleloaders made in Liege, Belgium, home of Belgian gun-making since the middle end of the 1400's, and home to Fabrique Nationale [FN].

Be nice to know what the other proofmarks are...should be -

* over N or any other letter = inspector's stamp

tac

Acorn Mush said:
Does it look anything like this picture from Dixie's 1964 catalogue?

DSC05848.jpg
[/img]

Eureka! That's the exact pistol I have!

I had no idea it might be from the 60's. Any idea what it might be worth nowadays in unfired condition? Thanks.

Glad I could be of service. :)

Unfortunately, I really don't know what a fair value would be today but I am positive that there are others here who will have that information for you. Even though Dixie pistols in a variety of levels of quality,the listed catalogue price tells me that particular model wasn't a real "cheapie". It would have taken me two months' work on my paper route to buy that pistol in '64.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Back