• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need some cannon help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off I am not a cannon owner but a good friend of mine has aged out of the cannon business and he has a couple pieces. So I am asking all you cannon folks for your sage advice. He has an original Lyle Gun. Steel barrel made by Hawley Smith Machinery Co, Croton Falls, NY serial number 145. It is in excellent condition and is mounted on a steel naval carriage. The other piece is a modern manufacture Cohorn Mortor 1750 model 3 inch bore. My friend is in his 80s and has nothing to do with computers so I am going to help him. You all are my first stop.

My experience is with modern reproduction cannon and mortars, but the Lyle gun was a line throwing lifesaving gun used to rescue sailors and others in distress at sea.I understand they are quite collectible. The 1750 mortar reproduction sounds like a lot of fun. I used a 2 3/4" Coehorn in Civil War reenacting with blank charges. My take is if you want and can afford the Lyle, get it for collecting, I wouldn't shoot it. If you want a gun for shooting, the mortar can be fun and I'd buy it to use :) . Before you fire it, please read Matt Switlik's book,'The More Complete Cannoneer' :wink:
Also contact Arthur Street of the Loyal Train Chapter of the U.S. Field Artillery Assn. at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, for ml artillery safety procedures. Mortars can be fun but also can do unexpected things with projectile loads. I presently own a 5/8's (?) scale 8" 1841 siege mortar barrel I need to build a bed for. It can fire a one gallon paint can. Most smaller mortars can shoot solid shot up to 1200 yards :shocked2: . Be safe and have fun, Cpl. George Briggs, 1st Arkansas Light Artillery (ret.)

Back