• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need Help Identifying an "India" Pattern 3rd Model Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavalier

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first thread here and I think I should just give a quick introduction:

Recently, a friend of mine has found a flintlock rifle at his Dads house, he had no idea what it was, so he asked me if I could help him, since he knew I´m kinda interested in this sort of stuff. And I could and couldn´t at the same time.

So I found out that it looks like a 3rd Model Brown Bess, but while i was looking at the piece and comparing it to numerous ones online, I noticed fairly quickly, that his seemed to be in very good condition. Oddly good condition for its alledged age.

Which is why I am asking you: Is this rifle an actual piece from the period?
It doesn´t seem to have any markings other than the "TOWER" and "crown over GR" on the lock plate, also the stock just looks very new, as well as the brass and, quite frankly, everything on it. Plus, the side plate is flat, something I have not found in antiques. But also I´ve noticed there is a good bit of variation in these, so I am unsure.
While it has the odd ding an scratch on the stock, it just apperas to me as a replcia rifle, that someone hasn´t really taken great care of.
But I´d happily be prooven wrong.

Can anybody tell whether this is a replica or an original?

And what´s giving it away?
Thank you so much for your help!

Max

Attachments

• IMG_8149.JPG
    IMG_8149.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8150.JPG
    IMG_8150.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_8151.JPG
    IMG_8151.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8152.JPG
    IMG_8152.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8153.JPG
    IMG_8153.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8154.JPG
    IMG_8154.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8155.JPG
    IMG_8155.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8156.JPG
    IMG_8156.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8157.JPG
    IMG_8157.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8158.JPG
    IMG_8158.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 159
Looks like a restock at least. The wood doesn't show any age for a 200 year old musket. There's no wood apron around the breechplug tang. Like you said the lock side plate is flat & I can't find any photos with that feature. The buttplate looks like is was sanded down, it should show dents and gravel marks. There is no iron staining of the wood around the barrel pins.

Here's a couple of photos for comparison-
No367Tower2  India Pattern (Type 1).jpg
No367Tower4.jpg
No367Tower6.jpg
No367Tower8.jpg
No367Tower9.jpg
Hope this helps. Mike

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread here and I think I should just give a quick introduction:

Recently, a friend of mine has found a flintlock rifle at his Dads house, he had no idea what it was, so he asked me if I could help him, since he knew I´m kinda interested in this sort of stuff. And I could and couldn´t at the same time.

So I found out that it looks like a 3rd Model Brown Bess, but while i was looking at the piece and comparing it to numerous ones online, I noticed fairly quickly, that his seemed to be in very good condition. Oddly good condition for its alledged age.

Which is why I am asking you: Is this rifle an actual piece from the period?
It doesn´t seem to have any markings other than the "TOWER" and "crown over GR" on the lock plate, also the stock just looks very new, as well as the brass and, quite frankly, everything on it. Plus, the side plate is flat, something I have not found in antiques. But also I´ve noticed there is a good bit of variation in these, so I am unsure.
While it has the odd ding an scratch on the stock, it just apperas to me as a replcia rifle, that someone hasn´t really taken great care of.
But I´d happily be prooven wrong.

Can anybody tell whether this is a replica or an original?

And what´s giving it away?
Thank you so much for your help!

Max
Looks to me much like the Indian built Bess copies. So modern, not original

Hi,
The lock also does not appear to have any crown ownership stamps. This is somebody's restocked version of an India pattern. The lock panels are oddly shaped compared with originals, the finish looks an in the wood oil rather than the usual heavy varnish. If original, it would have proof marks on the barrel and other inspection marks. The muzzle cap is incorrect and looks like it comes from a new land pattern musket, Baker rifle, or later percussion musket or rifle. The flat side plate is wrong as you previously mentioned. I am tempted to suggest it is a fairly modern gun using modern cast parts.

dave

Hi,
The lock also does not appear to have any crown ownership stamps. This is somebody's restocked version of an India pattern. The lock panels are oddly shaped compared with originals, the finish looks an in the wood oil rather than the usual heavy varnish. If original, it would have proof marks on the barrel and other inspection marks. The muzzle cap is incorrect and looks like it comes from a new land pattern musket, Baker rifle, or later percussion musket or rifle. The flat side plate is wrong as you previously mentioned. I am tempted to suggest it is a fairly modern gun using modern cast parts.

dave

You can actually see the casting flaws in the trigger guard bow in image #5, as well as the crude file marks..

Are there any proof marks on the barrel?

I don´t have the musket (not a rifle, wasn´t thinking) here. But telling from the pictures I would say no, I´ve attached an other one from showing it from above.

Looks like a restock at least. The wood doesn't show any age for a 200 year old musket. There's no wood apron around the breechplug tang. Like you said the lock side plate is flat & I can't find any photos with that feature. The buttplate looks like is was sanded down, it should show dents and gravel marks. There is no iron staining of the wood around the barrel pins.

Thanks Mike. I think I have seen examples without wood aprons on ima.com or somewhere else. Is that possible? You certainly are right about the stains.

Hi,

dave

Thank you Dave, this helps a lot. So adding up all the comments I can assume there isn´t really an original part on this gun...

You can actually see the casting flaws in the trigger guard bow in image #5, as well as the crude file marks..

Are you talking about the blue circled ones or the red ones? The latter look like it was held in a vice, wouldn´t you say? (See 2nd picture)

Thank you everyone for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_8162.JPG
    IMG_8162.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_81531.jpg
    IMG_81531.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 126
I can assume there isn´t really an original part on this gun...

Indeed
A few of the mistakes the person "antiquing" the musket missed... as mentioned not all of the stamps are there, and the engraving is wrong, not to mention the point of the wood at the back of the lock mortise, is also not correct. The below is on the photo of an original but on the OP's musket is missing...

3rd model lock.jpg

3rd Model fake 2.JPG
This point is way too pronounced and sharp on the OP's musket....

3rd model barrel.jpg
You need the barrel stamps too as they appear on this the original musket....

Another post mentioned the nose cap, and if you look at the hole for the retaining pin for the entry thimble, there is a circle indented into the wood around that hole. That happens when a person with a power drill or power drill press applies pressure and the modern drill bit cuts through the barrel wedge, and the power tool operator doesn't catch the power drill from moving too far forward so the chuck holding the bit makes that round mark. ;)
3rd Model fake 3.JPG

LD

Are you talking about the blue circled ones or the red ones? The latter look like it was held in a vice, wouldn´t you say? (See 2nd picture)Thank you everyone for your help!

Yes, this is the image with what look to me like flaws in the casting. And file marks on the rear inside and also on the trigger which ought to be smooth all over, especially on the face where the trigger finger goes. My S*i*e*s are all like that.

Thanks Dave this is what I came here for. Very cool to puzzle it all together, I don't mind it not being the real deal, this is just as exciting. (My friend might, though)

Yes, this is the image with what look to me like flaws in the casting. And file marks on the rear inside and also on the trigger which ought to be smooth all over, especially on the face where the trigger finger goes. My S*i*e*s are all like that.

Alright okay, I see. Your... what?

Hi,
It looks to have a hook breech (standing breech) not something found on original muskets.

dave

Interesting... Would have never been able to tell.

Thanks again everyone!

The muzzle cap on the OP musket is from a P53 Enfield rifle musket. That is not the style of muzzle cap found on period India Pattern Besses. The OP musket is a repro. Probably made in India.

Back