• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need a push!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of ordering a Woodsrunner kit from Kibler. I have never built a muzzleloader before and I’m not sure I want to jump into this at this stage of my life. I’m fairly handy and I’m sure I can handle it but I need you guys to give me some advice! Is this a good kit to start with?? It’s a bit pricey so I don’t want to jump into it if I’m doomed to failure! Second question is this….I’m thinking to go with the 45. I have three 50s, all percussion. This will be my first flintlock.
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
I think almost anyone can put one together and have a very fine shootable rifle, the amount of finish and decoration is where things will deviate.

Personally I went with the 54, I do not mind a little recoil and lead and powder is cheap (relatively) I like light handy rifles and the woods runner fits that bill very nicely.

Do it!!

Seriously. You won’t find a better rifle kit. My Woodsrunner is caliber .54 and incredibly lightweight. I’m still polishing the brass but the stock is practically done for you out of the box. I will do some carving on mine. Sand it, stain it and bolt or pin everything back on the stock and go shooting. The rifle could be put together in basic form and fired over a weekend.

I have never built a muzzleloader before and I’m not sure I want to jump into this at this stage of my life.
Why not find something cheap, local and already assembled that you can tear down and refinish this summer, then take to the range - see if you like the basics of the whole process?

Is this a good kit to start with??

Yes. Any of the Kibler kits are the best ones to start with. The quality of what you get is worth far more than what they cost.

If you loose interest, you will be able to get you money out of it, and probably more.

I am toying with the idea of ordering a Woodsrunner kit from Kibler. I have never built a muzzleloader before and I’m not sure I want to jump into this at this stage of my life. I’m fairly handy and I’m sure I can handle it but I need you guys to give me some advice! Is this a good kit to start with?? It’s a bit pricey so I don’t want to jump into it if I’m doomed to failure! Second question is this….I’m thinking to go with the 45. I have three 50s, all percussion. This will be my first flintlock.
Thanks in advance!!
Kibler kits are designed so that you will be doomed with success, not failure. I just did a colonial and had a great time with it. I am busy like everybody else so just worked on it in my spare time here and there and it turned out great. Oh and it was my first one. With all of the excellent information that Jim has on YouTube as well as what you can find on this forum there really is no reason that anybody can't assemble one and not have it turn out great. I encourage you to give it a try!

Last edited:
Thanks in advance!!
I think there's videos from Kibler on "how to"? Good luck either way!

As far as price goes, the price tag is significant but I don't think they are expensive. Yes you can get a cheaper kit, but it isn't on par with a Kibler. You might be able to do 2-3 'other' kits for about the same outlay but what do you want? Do you want commodity type rifles or do you want one really nice rifle? For a comparison more apples to apples, price out the components to build the rifle that Kibler is selling in the kit, and then factor in how much you would have to pay to get those pieces and parts to the same stage that the Kibler arrives to you in. You would be $500-750 more (maybe a bunch more than that even) buying piece parts and paying someone to get it to the same stage and probably have a lesser quality lock and honestly similar or lesser fit quality.

As far as price goes, the price tag is significant but I don't think they are expensive. Yes you can get a cheaper kit, but it isn't on par with a Kibler. You might be able to do 2-3 'other' kits for about the same outlay but what do you want? Do you want commodity type rifles or do you want one really nice rifle? For a comparison more apples to apples, price out the components to build the rifle that Kibler is selling in the kit, and then factor in how much you would have to pay to get those pieces and parts to the same stage that the Kibler arrives to you in. You would be $500-750 more (maybe a bunch more than that even) buying piece parts and paying someone to get it to the same stage and probably have a lesser quality lock and honestly similar or lesser fit quality.
Everything I have read, including those on this forum tells me that Kibler is way to go. I agree that he is NOT overpriced. The quality is outstanding. I looked into other kits and they seem to be way below the quality of Kibler.

So I’m pretty much settled on getting the Woodsrunner! You guys make a pretty compelling case and I truly appreciate your input.

Now the question is which caliber!! What are your thoughts on 45 vs 50 vs 54???

I'm a fan of the "bigger is better" approach. So I say 54.

Kibler is absolute quality with product support. I don't think other kits are comparable as far as quality, and not significantly cheaper for what you get. A Kibler is far closer to the finish line than other kits I'm aware of, without the mistakes that seem to occur in the other kits.

It's really up to you. Like mentioned above the 45 will weigh the most of the 3. If you are mainly going to be target shooting and plinking the 45 might be perfect. Easy on powder and lead. If you are a hunter carrying your rifle for hours on end than you might appreciate the slightly lighter weight of the 54. The 50 would be a good happy medium. These are just suggestions it's really about what you want. There would be nothing wrong being a hunter and choosing the 45.

I could understand your hesitancy if it were most kits, where a good deal of work is involved to finish a shootable rifle. However, from all I've heard of Kibler kits, they seem like snapping Legos together. Not my bag as I prefer a challenge, but for someone with not a whole lot of skill, or simply they want to put the gun together fast, I don't think you can go wrong. Plus you wind up with a rifle that you will cherish for a lifetime, not some starter gun that you'll move on from like a Traditions.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance!!
The simplest kit you’ll ever assemble. The wood sanding, the metal polishing and staining is the the most time consuming thing. All other is simple

I've built two colonials and quite a few others and can tell you that the Kiblers are far and above in terms of ease in building. Another thought is that if you decide to go with a cheaper rifle, one already built or other wise, you might end up with a gun that gives you nothing but problems, no spark in the frizzen (common problem) or other things. When that happens your love for the sport diminishes, maybe to the point you'll want to get out of it! With a Kibler kit you'll almost be guaranteed that won't occur, just my 2 cents!

If it is going to be a range toy then 45 or 50 makes sense, easy cheap common components for shooting and low recoil. For me the only choice is a 54, and the reason I don't have a Kibler is because they don't make a 58, 60, 62 cal in the woodsrunner or a 54 or a 58 in the SMR or a 62 or a 68 in the colonial. I am a hunter primarily and bigger IS better when dealing with low velocity projectiles that don't expand much if at all, I am not recoil sensitve, and a rifle as long as these doesn't sling worth a hoot so being carried in hand I want a light rifle. I have a lot of the parts on hand to build a 45 and plan to start it soon but it will be a range toy and tool for introducing others, no way I'll hunt anything anything larger than small game or varmints with it.

Back