• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got my deer tag and I am ready to go!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman1776 said:
Hunting tag? Good.
Next, ye will need a gun. :rotf:
:yakyak:

I got 4 to chose from.
:grin:

I decided to go with the TC Hawken .50

Matt has made it out to my place. He is a nice guy.
Just showed him the land.
I think we may be able to get this done.

Good luck.
Stay out till dark.
Got quite a few deer, when other hunters went back to camp for something to eat.
Post pics.

First day draws to a close.
We scouted out a few trails. Got to watch a family of does go by. Then anouther doe on the way home decided she was going to run right past us at about 30 yards. I saw my little spike buck but his big brother was no were to be seen.
In a way it is kind of ok that there is a 4 point restriction here in this GMU, because if it was any deer we would have filled our tags without geting much time to hang out and enjoy the woods.

We had to leave the hunt behind about twilight as Matt still had to set up his tent and what not.

Tommorow we can get serious. Both of us had a long day, Matt driving all day and me going to Spokane and back, so tonights rest will be welcome.

Good luck!!!

Or as we say "Waidmanns Heil" :thumbsup:
And I second the need for pics :grin:

Silex

It's getting late, and they haven't checked in yet. I'm thinking good things may have happened. :hmm:

Or maybe they're just tired of us butting in. :rotf: Bill

Day two is a scratch. (first full day)
I only saw one doe today.
Matt spoted some bucks first thing this morning but the low light and distance was interfering with his ability to see if they had enough points, so he held off on taking a shot.

Day 3
I had to send Matt out by himself. I have fibromylagia and it has flaired HARD. Typing is a chore...
I did see my 4 point buck in my front yard this morning about 5 AM. Of course this is not a legal time to shoot him so he still lives. Not like I was able to see him well enough to hit the life support system anyways.
Seeing my buck has renewed my faith in this enterprise. Hopefullly by the time Matt comes back I will be in better shape to go scouting later in the morning.

Take the time to recoup!! You will enjoy the hunt better with no pain!! After all, we do this for the enjoyment and experience most of all!!

Good luck and like was said before Pictures!!!!!

Hang in there and be patient. I do not seem to ever be able to get anything until the last day or so. Adds stress but makes the hunt last longer. Always hunt as if it is the first day.
:wink:

Day 3 no go.
We saw does.
Matt had a young doe do a prancy dance for him and act silly this evening. I would have loved to see that. But other than the 4 pointer tis morning no legal deer. I suspect Matt is geting impatient as he has been looking at the nearby GMU map with a longing eye.

Do ya'll have a either sex season? A doe does that in front of me and she's in the freezer down here! How many days does he have left to hunt? I do hope that 4 or 6 point will make a mistake before it's all over. Good luck! Will keep the fingers crossed for you folks.

There are GMU with any deer ok and some with any buck, and I saw some with antlerless, but here in Huckelberry GMU it is 4 point for white tail and 3 point for mule deer. I have not seen any mule deer around here. (turns out what I was calling mule deer are the black tail) :redface: I thought the black tails they were all 'mule deer'.

I think for a pair of green horns we aren't doing to bad. We have seen plenty of deer and been plenty close enough too shoot them, just the alpha males are eluding us.

Latest posts

Back