• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got my deer tag and I am ready to go!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gentlemen certainly did have a big part of this hunt. Without the answers to my questions, coaching on shooting and reading up on the hunting threads I would not have had the confidance to go on a hunt this year. As I was feeling confidant I can shoot a deer and make it count I was willing to invite Matt to the property to join me.
And I am glad I did. Loading that deer into the bed of that pick up was not easy. So when I bag mine I am certainly hoping I get it before Matt has to leave on Friday. If not I have 3 more days after Matt leaves to make good on my hunt. I am sure Sevan and I will be able to handle it if it comes to that, but having a mans muscles to help would certainly be nice.

Ya, but you're the one that got it done! We just coached on the sidelines. Very good for you! Now it's your turn! We may not be close, but we can help the best we can......

This is certainly one story for the books. And Matt, you were ready to quit before you started, and look what happened. And yes, big fresh dead deer are hard to load in a truck, like trying to load a giant wet noodle.

Matt, congrats on your first deer. :thumbsup:

Cynthialee, kudos to you for your generosity. :hatsoff: Just think, next year you're gonna have guys campaigning for Matt's spot. :grin: Bill

Grats Matt! :hatsoff:

And good luck to you Cynthia Lee!

Here's a little tip that might prove helpful when trying to load a big floppy deer in the pickup; Get a 8' 2x12! Put the board on the ground, put the deer on the board and tie it in place, pick up one end of the board and put it on the tailgate, slide the board in deer and all.

Jethro224 said:
Get a 8' 2x12! Put the board on the ground, put the deer on the board and tie it in place, pick up one end of the board and put it on the tailgate, slide the board in deer and all.
Good tip Jethro
:thumbsup:

Congratulations to you both. That's a large deer; just look at that neck. Where there's one; there's more.

See a guy I hunt with load a moose,all by himself.
backed up to the moose,tied it to the bumper,drug it over near a tree,dropped the tail gate,lifted it's head and tied a rope around the antlers,Chained a snatch block up a tree,run the rope through it,tied the rope to the front bumper and backed up.This wasn't his first moose!
That is one prime deer,looks fed well and in it's prime...,great start to the year and the winter,, good eating ....

Spikebuck said:
That's a great idea using a board. Another method I've used is to just take my tailgate off (quick to do) and put one end on the bumper and one on the ground creating a "ramp" which I then slide the deer up and into the box.
I've done the same thing with elk...but you only do a quarter at a time.

Whohoo! :thumbsup:

Congratulations to the both of you.
This thread is really good.

Now it's your turn - keep us posted.

Silex

Day 5 no deer for Cyndi.
However Matt did see anouther 4 pointer on the property. I wasn't able to get to it before it moved out. We saw plenty of Does today in shooting range, but that's not what we came looking for. :(
The fact Matt has seen anouther 4 pointer not but 20 minutes ago really helps the spirits of this hunter. We know he is in the area and we have a good idea where he likes to hang out.
Yesterday my neighbor told us there was a 4 pointer in his front yard at the same time that Matt was shooting his 4 pointer. I am guessing it is the same 4 pointer Matt saw this evening.

I have 5 more days left on this hunt.

Stay the Course,
candle.gif

Hang in there I'm sure you will get you one as well. :thumbsup: Congrats to Matt nice buck :hatsoff:

I wonder ..are the deer in rut there? If so..find a natural funnel and find a good hiding spot next,get some doe estrus and get some rags, spray or drop a few drops of the estrus on the rags and hang them head high. Purchase a doe bleat (can call) and run it 5 times about every 15 minutes or so., White Tail Bucks can't resist this during the rut! This method has worked for me for 15 years or so...

Nope the rut is not on yet.

Day 6 has been a no go. I didn't see but one doe today.
Once I got home this afternoon I had a bit of a meltdown and had a good cry over being skunked. Matt put things in perspective for me. We are hunting as greenhorns, for white tail and only alpha males are fair game. It is like playing a game fresh out the box on hard mode when you have only read reviews of the game.
They literaly changed the way they do things around here over night. When the season was not yet open the deer were pretty lax around here. The day the season started they got smart.
I am not going to let this deter me.
Matt will hunt with me in the morning but he must leave by noon. Sevan is starting to show strain at all the hunting and gun talk the last week. I imagine she will be happy when the season is over. I must admit I have been stuck on a single track the last week. :wink:
I Still have until Sunday night to get my deer.

Oh hell girl, I hunted for three years before I got my first deer :grin: . That's why it feels so good when you finally get one. And once you are successful, you realize how much luck plays a part. You can have all the skill in the world, but "dumb luck" is the biggest factor, and you have no control over luck.

I think the reason most of us hunt is not to kill animals, but just to participate in the game. I'll bet even though you're not knocking down deer right and left, you're still enjoying the heck out of hunting. A few weeks from now something will remind you of these last days and you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling in your stomach, with or without a kill.

Disappointment, frustration, joy, exhaustion, elation, anger, sadness- it's all part of hunting, and you are a true hunter. :hatsoff:

And good luck. Bill

Back