• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got my deer tag and I am ready to go!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a certain deadbeat who owed me decided to pay some of the debt and as a result I have my deer tag.
I got 10 days to make it work in my GMU. I think that should be no issue.
Tommorow is the start day. The 8th of Oct is the end date.
Got a hunting partner on the way and all is ready to go tomorow morning for an early solo try. Rifle is at the ready, possibles bag paired down to bare minimum and the knives have been sharpened.

Wish me luck!
:grin:

Rememberto post pictures. Good luck......................watch yer top knot.............

Just a reminder, stay away from all those scented lotions and creams and deodorant that women tend to use. Even the unscented products can have a strong smell. There's just something "fumey" about them, worse than B.O. as far as hunting goes. I can smell that stuff a mile away, and if I can smell it, I'm certain a deer can too. I don't even use Irish Spring soap before I go hunting. I love the smell, but the deer do not.

Not being sexist here, just being real. Good luck. Bill

snowdragon said:
Just a reminder, stay away from all those scented lotions and creams and deodorant that women tend to use. Even the unscented products can have a strong smell. There's just something "fumey" about them, worse than B.O. as far as hunting goes. I can smell that stuff a mile away, and if I can smell it, I'm certain a deer can too. I don't even use Irish Spring soap before I go hunting. I love the smell, but the deer do not.

Not being sexist here, just being real. Good luck. Bill

Sexist! :haha:

I've worked with guys that load on more stink than women do. I think there are some folks that could shower three times a day and it still wouldn't help. I use no after save, perfumes, lotions or scents EVER. Just clean and a little U/A deodorant for work.

Hunt upwind and it doesn't matter. ;-)

Oh, just a habit from toting around a wife and three daughters with me while hunting. No matter what I told them, we'd get out in the woods and I'd smell something "unnatural" on them. When asked, they'd say, "Oh Dad, it's just hand lotion, it's not even scented". To which I'd reply, "If it's not scented, then how come I smell it"? Again, if I could smell it, the deer certainly could.

And I've been around those guys who make your eyes water. I usually make a comment about a French prostitute in the vicinity, or some similar wording. Bill

smo said:
Good Luck. I hope you get a a big one
I am hopeing for a modest 4 pointer. Not that I would turn away a chance to shoot a larger deer. It is just Sevan and I that I am feeding so I do not need a really big deer. But I sure do apreciate the sentiment!
Matt should be here around 4:00 PM. I will show the land, some of the places we have seen deer and then maybe set out this evening for a spell. The serious hunting will likely start tomorow morning bright and early. :)

(Why is it that the deer come to my yard like clockwork the last 3 months yet this morning there isn't a deer to be seen? Who tipped the deer off!? I think animals can read minds sometimes.)

cynthialee said:
(Why is it that the deer come to my yard like clockwork the last 3 months yet this morning there isn't a deer to be seen? Who tipped the deer off!? I think animals can read minds sometimes.)

That's a persistent mystery of the natural world, alright. But it sure happens around opening day, year after year, especially on public land. I always suspected it was the sudden increase in human activity when everyone shows up the night before or first thing in the morning, but that doesn't explain private land with limited activity. But is sure seems to happen anyway.

Got a theory on the shift in deer patterns,,Lots of sighting in rifles might be part of it..Scouting starts more,bird season in some areas,here it moose and birds and archery season.That and they are out looking for company,sort of like dating in the summer at the beach,,the summer is over and the girls and boys have all scattered.
I've had my trail cameras out for a month,,if it wasn't for turkeys and song birds I'd have nothing to look at.
Coyotes are/were a big problem,, not so much now,they have eaten everything,including Jake,my cat buddy,no birds,rabbits,hares,deer looks like a desert in the woods.

But then, if the deer can smell perfume, lotion and such then they can smell YOU! Hunt the wind, dear hearts.

Want to cut your loses??? Buy something from them,,'Pawn Shop" style.Just make sure the item is worth more than you lend and they want it back....
Then if they don't come back and get it,,,sell it for what you have in it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wondering how we killed deer before they become so smart???????
I shot more deer years ago when I just come home from school,when I went, and grabbed my Red/Black jacket and went hunting,killed my first deer with my grandfathers 38/40 open sights
Now we need calls,deer pee,cover up,special soap for clothes/body,tooth paste,mouth wash,camies,electronic calls,rattling bags,night vision goggles,Flir,GPS,Cell phones
By the time I get all defunked,my gear to where I want to hunt,,my day is half over and I have to start taking it all back.
Get all the "need" to have and no money left for powder/lead...

Back