• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got a patch stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a patch stuck on the jag in the barrel. No amount of pulling seems to budge it. I haven't tried a bench vise yet, but I'm wondering if there is a suggestion other than brute force...

Ohhh that's a bummer. Couple things you can do...

Dribble some WD-40 down the barrel to soak the patch.

Use a ramrod puller. Mine is a piece of an old lawnmower blade with a hole drilled through it and one end tapered to be a screwdriver.

If all else fails, an air compresser can work if you can get a good seal on the vent hole.

Good luck!

A lot of oil and let sit for a bit then attention to pull.
A co2 to the vent if that doesn't work.
Working a few grains of powder in th the vent and driving the jag down on it and blowing the jag out it.
Pull the breach plug is a last resort.

I had that happen when I first got my Pedersoli Kentucky.

Is it a dry patch? Others may have better advice, but what I did was spray rem oil down the barrel to get the patch/barrel soaked and lubricated, only then was I able to pull it free.

Since then I have stuck to a smaller diameter range rod to prevent the patch from binding. Haven't had that happen since.

I think I'm going to invest in a different rod for cleaning. I considered shooting it out with a bit of powder. I have a CO2 discharger tho. I should try that first

When it happened to me I used a C clamp to anchor the end of the rod to the shooting bench then pulled the gun off the rod - but that was a steel range rod that could stand the abuse. You didn't say what yours is.

Jamie

valen said:
I got a patch stuck on the jag in the barrel. No amount of pulling seems to budge it. I haven't tried a bench vise yet, but I'm wondering if there is a suggestion other than brute force...
Sometimes, pushing to get it moving then pulling will do the trick. I also will dribble a little water in the muzzle and let it sit before trying to move it.

If you haven't already wet down the barrel I suggest unscrewing the jag from the ram rod and shooting it out. 4-5 grains is all it takes, shoot into a towel or blanket wadded up from about feet away.

Yes, but they should make sure the jag & patch are seated on the powder before shooting them out. That said, if they can be seated on the powder, then pulling them with the rod shouldn't be an issue either...

My advice is as already given: Lubricate the patch down the barrel with something like WD-40, Ballistol or other good lube. Let it set, then try again to pull out. If you can unscrew the wood rod and put on a good steel bench rod, all the better. .. otherwise, if this doesn't work, get some powder in there, ram it down (you may need a wood mallet as a persuader) then fire it off into a towel or something. Hopefully this will work out positively.

BTW, if you don't have a good steel bench rod, here is a really good reason to have one and use it for cleaning... that means one with a good ball, T or other comfortable handle. Track, October Country, Log Cabin and probably a dozen other suppliers have their own variations at reasonable prices. Mine is from Track. Actually, I have three from them for different calibers and rifles and I use them constantly!

Good Luck, friend.
MR

Back in the early 80's during my first WBTS Tactical (Civil War Wargames that were usually not open to the public) I brought my little band of Scouts back to our main group to report on the movements of the Federals. After reporting in, someone had a patch stuck so hard in the barrel of a Rifle Musket the rammer could not be moved. Now, we were out in the woods and FAR from a bench or vise or other things.

I asked some of our Ladies for some REALLY hot water and they quickly boiled some up for us. I wrapped the barrel in rags to hold on and poured the boiling water into the barrel. Took only moments for the heat to slightly expand the barrel and wet the patch and it was not terribly hard to pull the rammer and patch out. I followed up with another pour of the water in the barrel and pointed the barrel down to let the water run out. I was further heating the barrel so it would dry faster, as well as using the water to dissolve powder residue. I wiped the bore with some looser patches, and then a lightly oiled patch. Then I used a few more patches to get most of the oil out.

So that is something else you might try.

Gus

Artificer said:
...Took only moments for the heat to slightly expand the barrel and wet the patch and it was not terribly hard to pull the rammer and patch out.

Brilliant! I'd say soak the patch with lube first, then give this a try. :thumbsup:

I should've given the hot water plan a try. Instead I shot it out. It went a bit faster than I though it would, so I probably used too much powder. The jag shot through the blanket I laid out to catch it in :redface:

The last time I got a cleaning patch and jag stuck in the barrel, it was due to the fouling on the barrel walls.

Pouring a teaspoon (roughly measured by eyeball) of water down the bore and letting it sit for about a minute softened the fouling and the patched jag slid out with almost no effort at all.

Water really softens black powder fouling.
Oil doesn't do much to soften it..

That means putting water down the bore = success.
Putting oil down the bore = failure.

At least, that's how it works for me. :)

valen said:
I should've given the hot water plan a try. Instead I shot it out. It went a bit faster than I though it would, so I probably used too much powder. The jag shot through the blanket I laid out to catch it in :redface:
Done the same thing with one stuck in my kentucky pistol. Broke the jag off in the barrel and had no way of getting to it.

Put a large cardboard box with a blanket in it, took the whole thing to the back bedroom. Sprinkled a little BP under the nipple and BOOM!

Went right through the rolled up blanket and box! Put a small crushed dent in the sheetrock wall on the other side.

Wife was madder than @&%$+ Guess I should've told her before hand what I was about to do! :cursing:

Respectfully, Cowboy :shocked2:

If it's a flinter, you could also take it to a dive shop and use a scuba tank filling yoke. What they hook up to scuba tanks to fill them. That would get you a good seal, and let you turn the air on gradually and dial it up to more than 3000 psi. That would let you keep the pressure at more than you get with CO2 cartridges (around 700 psi), and let you blast it longer.

I always drill a hole in my ramrods so I can insert a nail or a piece of welding rod to give me a handle to pull on when that happens.

Similar to what was mentioned above, a generous dose ov wd-40 then heat barrel with hair drier(I don't care too much for putting water down barrel ie boiling water to heat it. Remember you will be soaking that patch and the water will be on that until it is removed

The heat will expand barrel and hopfully the wd 40 will supply enough lube

Back