• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I found an original civil war Enfield rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually US & CS purchased Tower and Enfield rifles did not have full British markings. The locks may have had the crown BUT did not have the VR
I do believe you are correct. The VR was omitted. There are some with the contractors names on the plates as well. All I have seen have had some form of legal British proof though.

There was an attempt to buy Enfield Pattern Rifles from Belgium during the civil war but the quality was so poor they were rejected but having said that; the back sight pictured looks very like the Indian ones I've seen. Perhaps Rudyard has an opinion?

Because the US & CS governments bought mostly BSAT (Tower) and a few London (Enfield) muskets that were of the Type 1,2&3 patterns (mostly type 3) as approved by the English government. They had full British markings, all contractor markings, legal proofs etc. Some CS guns had additional markings added when they got here. Your musket IS NOT an American Civil War gun, and anyone that has put more than a 10 minute study into them will tell you that.

Enfield muskets did not have twist steel barrels.

As noted in a previous post ;)

There was an attempt to buy Enfield Pattern Rifles from Belgium during the civil war but the quality was so poor they were rejected but having said that; the back sight pictured looks very like the Indian ones I've seen. Perhaps Rudyard has an opinion?
Mine has the adjustable sight. That sight pictured was by someone else

I do believe you are correct. The VR was omitted. There are some with the contractors names on the plates as well. All I have seen have had some form of legal British proof though.
Absolutely agree all had some form of British proof/markings. Enfields had prolific inspectors marks on virtually every part including screws. For muskets intended for native use I believe they stamped an N above the date stamp on the lock. Also the example I have has the N stamped on the barrel next to the rear sight as well.

**As for actually using it,
Please, bear in mind that over time these barrels will develop porosity. They are often unsafe to actually shoot.
A friend died doing just that. He was a great fan of antique BP shotguns, a competitive artillerist, and a builder. This was 30+ years back, but Bill had an original shotgun blow up and it killed him.
And- he "knew what he was doing".

I used to own a "Confederate" Enfield. There was enough evidence in markings to establish that.
England imported thousands to both the Union and the Confederacy. They were very consistent in looks and components as they were all from the same arsenal in England. As exports, I'm sure there was some variation as they were after all, exports.
Yours looks different. I have read (somewhere) that the southern armories did copy the the Enfield and some were made here. But the wood on yours does not look like a North American hardwood.
Just sayin'

Latest posts

Back