• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want to buy Civil War reproduction rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a reproduction rifle to get my feet wet in civil war weapons and possibly reenactment. I’m interested in a sharps, Springfields and Enfields. It seems like they are sold out everywhere so I don’t know where to get one.

Dixie Gun Works still has a smattering of Civ war rifles available. They've been a little hit or miss of late but it's getting to be where beggars can't be choosers. Looks like there's a couple rifles from the north available and more so from the south's offerings.

Or pal around on the forums and then utilize the classifieds once the old post count is high enough. Several of what you may be looking for on there now.

I’m looking to buy a reproduction rifle to get my feet wet in civil war weapons and possibly reenactment. I’m interested in a sharps, Springfields and Enfields. It seems like they are sold out everywhere so I don’t know where to get one.
Come hang out with us at the North South Skirmish Association. We shoot them with live ammunition in competition.

My brother might still have an Italian reproduction Zouave .58 caliber. If you are interested and he does still have it, I think he was asking around $300-350 plus shipping.

If you want to re-enact, study the groups near you and see what they use for muskets. Also, go to some re-enactments BEFORE joining any unit, to see how they operate and their level of discipline and authenticity. Don't buy a musket until you've really done homework!

So I have found a few options. Thank you all for the help and the input. I’m looking at a parker hale 2 band enfield or a navy arms 1863 Springfield. I’m aware the Parker gales are well thought of. I can’t find much about the navy arms. They are about the same price and in the same condition. Any thoughts?

So I have found a few options. Thank you all for the help and the input. I’m looking at a parker hale 2 band enfield or a navy arms 1863 Springfield. I’m aware the Parker gales are well thought of. I can’t find much about the navy arms. They are about the same price and in the same condition. Any thoughts?
Hi Joseph,

If your primary goal is to be a reenactor, you should know most units prefer you have a "3 Band" or FULL length musket like the Springfield or 3 band Enfield. This because you can be in the rear rank at reenactments and the muzzle of the Rifle Musket goes further beyond the man in the front rank ahead of you. It's considered an important safety point.

If you plan on mainly SHOOTING in competition, then the 2 Band Parker Hale is the MUCH better choice as they are inherently more accurate and easier to shoot in the offhand position.

Gus

'morning,

I'll second what has already been said, check things out before you buy ANYTHING. Most units will have loaner gear, including muskets. Some units want a specific musket, while most you can use any three bander.

Mike

I would save up and buy an original. The price difference between an Italian repro and a shootable antique is not that great. Some very shootable antiques are actually proced lower than a quality repro. I am not wealthy by any means, but I was very glad I made the decision years ago to pay a little extra for the legit deal, rather than settle. In reality, and this is not hyperbole, an original is of better quality and superior workmanship than an Italian repro. I shoot my muskets a lot, and have never had a failure with a Springfield, Colt Special Model, etc., while broken and worn out parts are a way of life with the Italian guns. I am not an elitist, this is just my experience, based upon nearly 50 years of experience in muzzleloading.

Be aware there is a vast difference between doing Reenacting and skirmishing. Two different breeds of cats.
Reenacting is CW foes facing each other and shooting blanks and playing war.
Skirmishing NSSA is shooting at targets individually and also as a team against team event.
Do some research before purchasing a rifle.
Barry

Ladies? And Gentlemen,
Thank you for all of the input I’m new here and am actually pretty surprised how helpful you all are this is a friendly corner of the internet. I agree with the idea of buying an original I am going to keep my eyes open. However I am impatient and would like a rifle now. I admit I don’t know anything about reenactment or skirmishes I mentioned it in the post because I’m open to the idea. Looking into it I think skirmishes would be the route I would take as my primary interest is in shooting the rifle most likely on my own at my range most of the time. I have tracked down an English made parker hale 2 band Enfield for $995 it appears to be in pretty good shape just a little fading on the stock around the hammer. It seems like a good buy to me but what do you guys think?
IMG_8446.png
IMG_8448.png

Nope, overpriced for a used repro, even a lightly used one. In my area, repros in excellent condition are $500-$700 range. My last original Springfield 1863 in great shape was only $1200. Thats my .02, others may differ.

It looks OK on the exterior but the heart of the matter is the bore condition. If it has a good bore
I would not be afraid to buy it. The GB manufactured Parker Hale demands a little higher price.
For some reason only two of the pictures are viewable on my screen. But those two gave me a
fairly good idea of the condition of the rifle.
Also since you have decided on the Skirmishing route the 1858 is a very good choice of rifle.
I might also mention that the heavy mini bullet is not used for accuracy. A lighter 450 grain
range with thin skirts is common amongst the skirmish competitors.
Also you will find the most accurate powder charge will be in the 40 to 45 grain range.
Whatever you decide do your research and be happy!
Barry

A 1st gen Parker Hale "2 Band" is capable of very good accuracy. I shoot one in competition with the N-SSA.

parkerhalegroup2.jpg

Ok thank you for the direction. I passed on the Parker Hale p58 only because it seems a bit overpriced. What I am thinking I’m going to do is buy a Zouave rifle for a couple hundred bucks to have an easy way to get my feet wet while continuing to look for an original. It seems to me that I will be able to practice loading and shooting just as well with a Zouave as anything else. Then I’ll have some money left over to jump on a more quality rifle in the future.

Back