• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I did it again - New Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to the State muzzle loader shoot and there before me lay a collection of rifles someone is selling.
I told my wife before leaving home that I wasn't looking to buy any more muzzleloaders. Sigh!
I came home with this 50 cal "Hawken" style that was built for Senior Class Rifle Competition and used for a 1st place finish in a woods walk. It has a Redfield Olympic Receiver and front sight. The only piece I don't care for is the front ramrod thimble that is a simple loop attached by a hexhead screw into the bottom of the barrel. That will be changed when I find a more correct thimble that will mount there using a screw with a less modern head.
BkhWM1.jpg

PGvfc4.jpg

JoqxNy.jpg

I1PRP9.jpg

lfy1AU.jpg

This makes my CVA 50 Cal "Hawken" expendable.

that was a bad bad bad bad thing that you did!!! You are a SINNER!!!
your penance is one thousand rounds of PRB. you must shoot these one thousand rounds in the rain or the snow.

(no cheating - we will know if you're cheating)

lol

The rifle has been around a while. Redfield went out of business in 1998 (and restarted recently), but the Olympic peep sight dates back maybe 20 years or more. The fellow who built it, Al Anderson, really kept it nicely because the bore is immaculate and the wood almost perfect.

I haven't been able to find a thimble that will screw directly to the bottom of the barrel. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ron

I'm confused. :hmm: Why be bothered by a mostly hidden hex head screw on a rifle wearing that sight?

Beautiful gun and sights. Wish it were mine - and the screw wouldn't bother me in the least.

I am not too troubled by the screw, but the thimble is a bit out of the ordinary. Rather than a channel or tube, it is a thin ring.
Also, this is the first time I ever have seen a modern hex-star screw in a traditional style muzzleloader. No biggie, but I will put something more aesthetically pleasing in there.

Ron

Oh, and now that my wife found out, I have to move in with MSW in Vermont. :grin:

A correction on the Redfield sight: the Olympic Peep Sight was built from the early 1940s through 1976,
Ron

RonRC said:
I haven't been able to find a thimble that will screw directly to the bottom of the barrel. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ron

Pedersoli has been screwing thimbles to the bottom of the barrel for ages in lieu of pins. They simply use a fairly ordinary thimble with no tab and have a hole going all the way through it...smaller hole on the underside...larger on the top side and located in the middle of the the thimble lengthwise. The bottom-side hole is countersunk (punched down a bit)so the small flat-head screw won't interfere with the ramrod. One simply puts the screw through and tightens it down. You might have to put a little countersink directly in your barrel or have a thin metal "washer" under the thimble to accept the punched countersink since you don't have a fullstock.

Don't know if something like that would work for the way your gun is drilled. I can send or post a picture or two of one if you want.

Mike

Spikebuck,
I have seen that on a Remington 1816 Commemorative flintlock.
The loop sits our a ways from the barrel, so I would have to put a spacer between the thimble and the barrel. Bot that certainly is doable.
Thanks,
Ron

If I were to do it, I would even file a little bit of a rounded "trench" in the spacer lengthwise so that when the thimble is tightened down, it won't be able to "spin" on the axis of the screw shaft. I would solder the spacer to the barrel so that can't twist either. That would make the whole thing more secure, I would think.

Good luck.

You are so correct!
The current "loop" will rotate if the screw isn't tightened down hard.
It is a low priority task, though. I have to find time to go out and shoot it, first.

The price on the rifle was so good that if I hadn't purchased it, I would have been struck by lightening. At least that is what I told my wife.
Ron

You were "struck by lightening"...lightening of your wallet. :grin:

But sometimes, best intentions not withstanding, you start by a table and something on it just starts calling out your name! (With me, it's usually potato chips or cookies.)

You done well! She is a beauty, and undoubtedly shoots as good as she looks.

Maybe tell the Wife you'd be happy to let her try the rifle...on second thought, that might not be a good idea - you might find that your CVA "Hawken" isn't as expendable as you thought.

When she sees you coming back from the range with that happy smile on your face, she'll be more understanding.

I would like to get a rifle for my wife, Grumpa, but she would say it is not a fair trade. :wink:

Forty-five years of marriage and she still won't shoot a firearm.

I've learned that it has a Getz barrel and a Tom Faux made lock.

Ron

Latest posts

Back