• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting the Appalachian Mountains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzard Luck

32 Cal
Reaction score
This question goes out to all who hunt ( big game ) in this rugged country. I've hunted here all my life, I'm now 55, but never with traditional muzzleloading gear. What type of rifle do you use and why?

.45, .50, .54 all good for deer. If for bear, .50 or .54.
I find myself using my .50 for everything.
I grew up in PA, hunting is hunting no matter where one lives.
I would say that the best rifle you could use is the one you are most comfortable with.

X2 on what Longrifle said. A 50 cal will kill any deer in the Appalachian mountains. I’ve never killed a black bear, but wouldn’t hesitate to shoot one with my ML.

Thanks for the response. I agree with Appalachian Hunter great area. Been roaming those woods my whole life and they get in your blood. I live in the Tenn. valley and can see the mountains from my back door, so close yet so far. Everytime I look I think man I gotta get back up there.

Thanks for the response. I agree with Appalachian Hunter great area. Been roaming those woods my whole life and they get in your blood. I live in the Tenn. valley and can see the mountains from my back door, so close yet so far. Everytime I look I think man I gotta get back up there.

Latest posts

Back