• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting methods in the day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While many methods our forefathers used to hunt may be considered unethical in today's world, there were ethics displayed.

In the book I'm reading, author Phillip Tome recounts this from an 1800 elk hunt:

"Jacob and Wilson ascended the creek to The Big Elk Lick. When they arrived they counted forty-seven elk in the vicinity. They tied up their dogs in blankets so they could not see, hear, or make any noise, and shot eight elk, singling out the largest and fattest. When the first ones fell, the whole herd commenced squealing, creating such a noise as to make the ground tremble. The men had about a bushel of salt with them, and drove away the rest of the elk, not wishing to destroy wantonly more than they could save."

Also, we can all be glad that "randeling" isn't a practice in today's hunting camp:

"We let the dogs loose each taking after a different elk. He[Knapp] followed his dog and I followed mine. In a short time I heard the report of his gun. ...as he fired, the elk fell and he supposed him dead. Laying down his gun and bag of flour, he approached the elk, placed his foot upon his antlers, and attempted to cut his throat, but as soon as the knife touched his throat, the elk sprang up and seeing the bag of flour, he rushed at it, struck his antlers through it, and ran off with the flour above his head.

When I informed them [two more in the hunting party] of Knapp's adventure, they nearly went wild with merriment, lying on the floor and rolling in an ecstasy of mirth. When their merriment had subsided, it was judged that Knapp should be randeled, inasmuch as he had transgressed an important rule of the chase. The rule was that when a gun was discharged it should be instantly reloaded... The operation of Randeling was the usual punishment among hunters for any neglect of duty, and consisted in seating the offender upon a stool, while others, in turn, went up and pulled his hair sometimes plucking out a few. The odor of this adventure never left knapp."

As a forester here in the Appalachians I find this information awesome. Essentially a prescribed fire for game hunting. Smokey bear has all but eradicated fire from the forests and oak populations are declining and being replaced by other species because of it. Just an observation of a different aspect on history aside from the hunting topic. Our forests are much different today than in the past. Just the thought of the American chestnut as a mast producer throughs whole new dynamic on both hunting and forestry. Spence, thanks for sharing

Wvforester said:
Essentially a prescribed fire for game hunting.
It always make me wonder how they managed to get the circular fire started at about the same time over a distance of 5 miles. That's a circle with a diameter of about 1.5+ miles. They must have had a lot of hunters in the group. Wonder if they synchronized their hourglasses. :haha:

Spence

Back