• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting methods in the day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Our ancestor's hunting practices are interesting to read about, but we probably shouldn't include all of them in our "traditional" hunting.

Hunting turkeys at night:

The Pennsylvania Gazette
May 22, 1760
CHARLESTOWN (in South Carolina) April 23.
On the 4th Instant two scouting Parties set out for Long Canes, and that Night four of them going out a Turkey hunting, were attacked within Half a Mile of their Camp by eight Indians;

_A New Voyage to Carolina;_, John Lawson, 1709”¦
“At Night, we lay by a swift Current, where we saw plenty of Turkies, but pearch'd upon such lofty Oaks, that our Guns would not kill them, tho' we shot very often, and our Guns were very good. Some of our Company shot several times, at one Turkey, before he would fly away, the Pieces being loaded with large Goose-shot.

_Westward into Kentucky_, Daniel Trabue, 1779-80
“There was a prety moon light night. After we got things pritty well settled I said,”We have 2 good Dogs. I know mine is an exception for game. Let us go out a hunting.” All of the men refused. I told negro Jo to take his axx. I took my gun and off we went, and in going about 200 yards where some of these men had been out a hunting I saw 5 turkeys in one sycomere tree over the creek. I moved to a place where I got the turkey between me and the moon. Drawed my sight and killed one, and loaded and fired until I killed all 5 of the largest fatest Turkeys that I had ever seen.”

Making use of fire for hunting, in two different ways, pretty well described in the items quoted:

_Dividing Line betwixt Virginia and North Carolina_, Wm. Byrd, 1729
“In a Dearth of Provisions our Chaplin pronounc’d it lawful to make bold with the Sabbath, and send a Party out a-Hunting. They fired the dry leaves in a Ring of five Miles circumference, which, burning inwards, drove all the Game to the Centre, where they were easily killed”¦.This unmerciful Sport is called Fire Hunting, and is much practiced by the Indians and Frontier Inhabitants, who sometimes, in the Eagerness of their Diversion, are Punish’t for their cruelty, and are hurt by one another when they Shoot across at the deer which are in the middle”¦.Our Hunters massacred two Brace of Deer after this unfair way, of which they brought us one Brace whole, and only the Primings of the rest.”

And a failed attempt at the same:

_Running Mad for Kentucky_, ed. Ellen Eslinger
Journal of Mary Coburn Deweese: Nov. 8, 1788
“Had several gentlemen to dine on board the Ark expecting a fire hunt of some deer which keep about 200 yards from our boat, on a very high hill but a Shower of rain in the night disappointed them, rendering the Brush and leaves to wet for that purpose, they passed the day in Squirrel hunting, and fishing for Pike, this being the season for them, I saw one to day weighting 30 weight, the Beautifulist fish I ever saw.”

Using fire in what we would call spotlighting, today:

_Frontier Memories_, ed. Dale Payne, interview of Wm Moseby by Dabney Shane, speaking of late 18th century
“Had fire hunts, the deer would come down at night to get the moss out of the bottom of the river, in the shoals, grew in the bottom and pointed up frequently, a little above water, if not they would reach their nose down and nip it off. A canoe was gotten ready, a piece of green bark was spread over with sand, and on this a fire made of dry Linn, which made a very bright light. The steersman sat in one end and the light was placed in the other, the gunner in between. The deer would gaze at it, till they would come up to it and shoot, and the canoe was then loaded.

“When we lived in the fort, we were often on short rations, had to live on deer, went on fire hunts 2 or 3 times a week.

”˜First fire hunt at night went with my father and older brother, 4 large bucks were killed with the gun called Frank loaded with about 30 buckshot as large as our rifle balls now, and was taken by my father in the Revolution from a British soldier whom he overcome.”

Spence

Interesting Spence :hmm: I think I will just stick to the daytime methods that I have grown up with. The squirrel police would want me to wear a striped uniform an I would'nt look as purty in one of those

Thanks for the interesting quotes. :thumbsup:

People today should read these articles.

If they did, they wouldn't be so anxious to "go out and live off the land like my grand-daddy did."

It can get mighty hungry out there, even with a gun.

They weren't hunting for sport.
It just wasn't Europeans. Indians did the fire surrounds, and were known to drive a heard or two of buffs off a cliff. Leaving most of the meat to rot many western tribes killed buffs just for the tounge for the sundance.
During the depression my dad uncle and grandfather killed lots of deer out of season with .22s all that meat went on the table.

Now that is some very interesting reading. The last story sounds like they used a 'Bess loaded with 30 buckshot same size as a whatever coming rifle caliber they had at the time. What caliber was that likely to be - .40, .45... maybe .50? Even if only about .40 that would be 100gr each so a 3000 grain payload. That's a stout load! :shocked2:

Very interesting but not what we would call 'hunting' today. They killed for food by whatever means possible. Our hunting and game management methods have increased the numbers of most game animals by several hundred percent today compared to back then.

The Baron said:
The last story sounds like they used a 'Bess loaded with 30 buckshot same size as a whatever coming rifle caliber they had at the time.
It can be confusing as I posted it, because the context isn't clear. The person who said that was being interviewed by John Dabney Shane several decades after the event. So, when he says "30 buckshot as large as our rifle balls now", he means rifle balls being used in early 19th century, not in about 1790 when the fire hunt took place.

Spence

The Baron said:
What caliber was that likely to be - .40, .45... maybe .50? Even if only about .40 that would be 100gr each so a 3000 grain payload. That's a stout load! :shocked2:
The people of that day used their muzzleloaders with a different attitude than we do today. Here's an item from Boston, 1770, which makes the way they loaded Frank seem a squib:

"The People on hearing the Report of the Gun, seeing one wounded, and another as they thought killed, got into the new Brick Meeting, and rang the Bell, on which they soon had Company enough to beset the House Front and Rear; by the latter of which they entered, and notwithstanding the Menaces of Richardson, and his faithful Aider and Abettor George Wilmot, seized on both, and wrenched a Gun from the latter, heavily charged with Powder, and crammed with 179 Goose and Buck Shot.

In 1822, in states along the Ohio River, the size of rifle balls used on average for different game was described by Wm. Blane, and he said the average caliber for general shooting was about .40.

Spence

In Defeo's Robinson Caroso Robinsn concerned about toughness of game keeps ramming ball home until he has five bore sized ball loaded in his fusil. Defoe may have exaggerated for arts sake, but I get the feeling he had seen such tricks done.
Multi experiments have loaded ml with god awful charges of powder with out blowing the gun. Today's steel is a lot tougher then welded iron. That said I wonder how many guns that we hear abou blowing up did so cause of being stuffed to the gills with lead????

Spence: very interesting read. Do you know what a "brace" of deer is and what are the "Primings?" Very interesting indeed.

A brace of deer would be two deer. A common usage in the day, and you see them speak of a brace of pistols quit often.

The primings are just the best cuts of the deer, none of the lesser meat like neck, etc. I would presume it meant the hams and loins, especially, maybe the shoulders. We still use the term 'prime cut' for about the same thing today, the best piece.

Spence

Priming's are the opposite of offal's, the internal parts of the animal the poorer people often eat if they are lucky enough to get them.

A few times I have lost my bearings while going to a predetermined spot to a turkey blind and blundered into roosted turkeys before daybreak. They always flushed from tree to tree or farther. I can't imagine them letting me outline them behind the moon and shoot 5 of them.

Then there's the other extreme.

I grew up in traditional Apache country, and my two best buds were Apache brothers.

Their job in the family was putting meat on the table, even at 10 years old. Did a good job of it too, and no guns involved. But even at that age you never saw such trappers.

Even more interesting was when they'd "run down" rabbits, both cottontails and jacks. They'd work them as a team, trading off and just keeping the rabbits going. Sooner or later one of them would get in range with their throwing sticks. About a foot long and had a kink in them about 1/3 of the way down. Kinda sorta headed toward boomerang shape, but not so much bend, and the sticks were round rather than flat.

But man, could they hit with those things! They'd set their snares each day after school to work overnight, then rush off with their sticks to have the real fun. Next morning bright and early they'd check their snares before school.

Only reason I'm jawing about it, their efforts fell under the heading of "If you don't kill something, you don't eat." It was evidently a very traditional way to hunt rabbits, taught to them by their granddad and some elders. I couldn't hit spit with the throwing sticks, and I sure couldn't streak the dust like they did when running a rabbit.

Read and reread that book a couple times. My grandfather belonged to a hunting camp in the general area of where the tomes lived. Very interesting I highly recommend it.

To add to Spence's references, here's another hunter that used the same methods, plus some others...

"The following is the mode of shooting deer by firelight:
If the deer come to a lake or river to drink, and eat the moss which grows beneath the water, a canoe must be prepared, with a piece of bark peeled from a tree, bent in the middle till it forms a half-square, and secured in this position by a forked stick, the lower end of which is fastened to the bottom of the canoe. One side of bark thus forms a screen for the canoe, while the other side serves as a shed over the gunner sitting in the bottom of the vessel. A candle with a large wick, placed in the middle of the bark, will give sufficient light to render objects visible at the distance of thirty or forty steps.

The canoe is started in search of game with a boy to pole it quietly along the stream. He must never raise his pole out of the water; for the dropping of the water would frighten the deer. As the canoe glides noiselessly along the stream, nothing but the candle can be seen by the deer; and they stand watching it in amazement, till the canoe comes within eight or ten steps. The reflection of the candle at a good distance make the eyes of the deer appear like balls of fire, and their bodies look white as those of sheep. They will not move till shot down, as they are unaware of the danger till the gun is fired; when perhaps a dozen will dash out of the water, making a great splashing, and rush through the bushes and weeds along the banks. ”¦.,

”¦, Shooting deer at a lick differs but little form the mode just related, if the lick be a natural one. The plan is to climb a tree, to the distance of thirty or forty fee, and there make a nest of limbs to shade the hunter. Then either a few coals of fire and some fine splinters, or a large candle, is tied to a pole like those used in fishing, and a place is fixed to lay the pole on after the candle is lighted. When the deer come to the lick, the candle is laid as near over it as the length of the pole will admit, when the light will display the entire body of the deer and the sights of the gun as plain as they could be seen in daylight. The deer will sometimes stand until they receive a second and third short; so perfectly astonished are they at the blaze of the candle and the thunder of the heavily-loaded rifle. They become confused, and seem to lose their senses for a time.

The way to make a deer-lick with common salt, is to select a place where the deer have found a crossing, and near which is a tree, on which a convenient seat can be arranged at a consider elevation. Then take a small stake, drive it into the ground to the depth of eighteen inches or two feet, and fill the hole made by it with clean alum-salt. Make three or four such holes, and fill them all, and sprinkle a little salt over the ground around them. The deer will soon find the place, and come often to like the salt, while the hunter, sitting high up in the tree, has every chance of obtaining a fair shot at them. "

Meshach Browning, Chapter 16 Forty-Four Years of The Life of a Hunter.

Browning started hunting in the last decade of the 18th century, and continued into the first half of the 19th century. NOTE:, he's hunting by firelight, AND with a tree stand, AND he's hunting over an artificial salt-lick so he's baiting deer. More than two centuries in the past.

How many years ago must a practice be established and continue as legal before it becomes "traditional"?

LD

Another significant difference between now and then is time of year. As the date of the posted article suggests (May), big game hunting in those days wasn't confined to the coldest months of the year as it is now in many states.

In PA, our primitive flintlock season runs from the day after Christmas until mid-January, which is probably when the pioneers who we are trying to emulate did the least of their hunting.

Latest posts

Back