• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunk of rock to flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markinstettler

36 Cal.
Reaction score
One of my Christmas gifts was a copy of Foxfire 5 and I've been reading through it this afternoon. I just finished the section on knapping flints and am excited to give it a try.

There are all sorts of knappable minerals for sale online (but not much available locally here on the east side of the Rockies). Most of it costs about as much as it does to ship. So the material is readily available.

Has anybody tried flint knapping with the intention of making flintlock flints? Care to share your experiences or give some advice?

Gday- I have mucked around on a strictly amateur basis- i began picking up likely looking rocks on the way to work and kinda beating them into shape at home.
I really don't know what I am doing and wasted a lot of rock- But i did get some very nice sparks from the useable "flints".
hope that helps a little

Latest posts

Back