• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Huge Gun Show; Not a Cap In Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A major regional gun show I attended today, (advertised 2000 tables!) had not one lonely percussion cap in the entire hall. Not that it was a muzzle loading show, but in Eastern PA around hunting season, you'd think there'd be something at least! Saw a NIB Gemmer percussion kit at $565, if I recall correctly. Tons of un-mentionables and modern bang-bang fodder, but little in way of black powder gear. Just sayin'

Dunno........good time to ponder the facts , and good time to meby pick up a flint lock , so ya can keep shootin , 'till and if we get rid of the commies in our govt.. Anything even looking like a primer or percussion cap , will be in short supply for an unknown time. A friend , modern ctg. shooter/reloader , just bought the last brick of reloading lg. rifle ctg. primers in a large local gun store. I visited that same store a couple days later , it was standing room only , folks buying whatever they think they can use , in the future.

Dunno........good time to ponder the facts , and good time to meby pick up a flint lock , so ya can keep shootin , 'till and if we get rid of the commies in our govt.. Anything even looking like a primer or percussion cap , will be in short supply for an unknown time. A friend , modern ctg. shooter/reloader , just bought the last brick of reloading lg. rifle ctg. primers in a large local gun store. I visited that same store a couple days later , it was standing room only , folks buying whatever they think they can use , in the future.
I have plenty of flint stuff, too; and other stuff to go bang. Yep, stocking for the future is always good. Thanks

I've been more disappointed with the Oaks gun show each time I visit. Black powder is not well represented at most shows, and that one is probably one of the worst. Junk china-made knives, stacks of ammo cans and broken guns -all overpriced IMHO.
Seems to be the way of most of the shows I've attended.
Remember when you'd go to a show to find a bargain LOL !!

You gotta know your stuff.

Cover ground, and sort as many tables as possible.

Hope to find a treasure hidden amongst the AR's, beef Jerky, and junk jewelry.

You might not find an original for a bargain, but you sure as heck won't find it in a corporate gun store.

Just got back from the show with a very nice .45 T/C Hawken for a very good price, and 4 caps in the patch box! Trouble is, it appears to be loaded. I (foolishly) did not check it at the show, but the rod definitely stops very short. Looks like I will be doing some ball pulling later today. As for a show report there were exactly two muzzleloaders, this T/C and the same seller had a CVA Bobcat. No caps, no BP or Subs.

Edit, pulled the following maxi and powder out. Came out pretty easy with some Remoil lubing the bore.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A major regional gun show I attended today, (advertised 2000 tables!) had not one lonely percussion cap in the entire hall. Not that it was a muzzle loading show, but in Eastern PA around hunting season, you'd think there'd be something at least! Saw a NIB Gemmer percussion kit at $565, if I recall correctly. Tons of un-mentionables and modern bang-bang fodder, but little in way of black powder gear. Just sayin'
A friend who is a dealer in antique guns (mostly muzzleloaders) refers to most of todays gun shows as "ammo - cammo" shows & says that many promoters are only interested in how many tables they can sell, without regard to vendor quality or what merchandise is offered. He now mostly attends closed shows. It has been a long time since I bought a gun at a "gun" show. I have found a number of good books at these shows.

Seems most folk are in them Star Wars guns.

I set up at a gun show in Arkansas a couple weeks ago, and I walked around and didn't see any percussion caps either... Not that I was looking. Casually mentioned to the guy that was set up across from me who had a plethora of ammunition that I didn't see any percussion caps here. He walked over to a box on his table that looked to be empty, and pulled out two packages of percussion caps. I guess they're there, you just have to look deeper. I didn't need them so I left them for the next guy if he ever come along and found them.

I'm guessing the Oaks? I went last year. One vendor selling a few cap and ball revolvers, and like you said not a single cap. Even in the "used" items. Strange days.

Back