• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Huge Gun Show; Not a Cap In Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing the Oaks? I went last year. One vendor selling a few cap and ball revolvers, and like you said not a single cap. Even in the "used" items. Strange days.
You'd guess right; the bane of the useless mayor of Philly, who blames "Oaks" for everything! Once I found a couple plastic tins of caps there in a box of ML stuff from some guys estate, perhaps.

Just got back from the show with a very nice .45 T/C Hawken for a very good price, and 4 caps in the patch box! Trouble is, it appears to be loaded. I (foolishly) did not check it at the show, but the rod definitely stops very short. Looks like I will be doing some ball pulling later today. As for a show report there were exactly two muzzleloaders, this T/C and the same seller had a CVA Bobcat. No caps, no BP or Subs.

Edit, pulled the following maxi and powder out. Came out pretty easy with some Remoil lubing the bore.
I had an original M1842 musket years ago that had a load in it.

My peeve is not just that they charge you to get in only to find 1lb of powder for $55 and a tin of caps for $25-$35 (IF you can find them but even unmentionable ammo I'd GOUGED; $75/50 .44??
I can drive across town to Scheels or Sportsmans or even the small Ma&Pop and get them for $35-$48 (used to be $19-$25 pre 2020) .
Even common calibers like .9mm are Overpriced!

But hunting around, and Ignoring the giant banners "DISCOUNT AMMO", I usually find one or two 'good old guys' with a box or two they are selling at reasonable price; usually someone who inherited them from a friend who passed or cleaning out their garage - **just look them over good...I haven't been disappointed yet.

People tell me: "You go to gun shows for the Experiance" 🤣🤣😡
NO! I go, and pay the door fee, to find Deals.
Scheels don't charge a fee to enter, and they have a ferris wheel, giant fresh and salt water fish tank, shooting gallery, AND a decent food court with fresh roasted cinnamon cashews! Now THAT is an 'experience', and NO door fee!

Dang, its raining out and now I want some fresh roasted cinnamon cashews 😋

Door fees...geeze don't get me started.
Gun shows in my area were $5 to get in pre covid, that quickly went to $7, then $8...now there all $10...per day.
The latest kicker... last one I went to was $20, good for the 2 day weekend they said, I said I only want to go in today, sorry, $20 please.

I did that at our recent local show. Although not a muzzleloader, I found a Stephens youth rifle that predated the Crack Shot a Stevens Junior Model 11-22 in very good condition.
Forgot to say, I didn't know that model existed. Learned something and it followed me home.
Stevens Junior2.jpg

I don't bother with the big shows. Travel. Parking. Admission. Lousy food. And at least 7 tables out of 10 hold ABSOLUTELY no interest for me.

I do like the small, local shows most often put on by clubs. People are polite and knowledgeable about what they are displaying. If the club members and wives are operating the kitchen you will likely eat well. And the little shows don't run much to jerky and Pakistani knife merchants. As in most shows these days ML's and associated gear is uncommon. Well we already knew we were a minority group in the shooting fraternity.

And plastic gun parts.
You're right. There is one gun in the back along the wall from Western PA, that's a black powder shop. But he had no caps, and if dealers do, they keep them for themselves & customers, they won't put them our for the hoards to buy! Best place to find BP stuff is small, localized shows, more intimate settings.

I don't bother with the big shows. Travel. Parking. Admission. Lousy food. And at least 7 tables out of 10 hold ABSOLUTELY no interest for me.

I do like the small, local shows most often put on by clubs. People are polite and knowledgeable about what they are displaying. If the club members and wives are operating the kitchen you will likely eat well. And the little shows don't run much to jerky and Pakistani knife merchants. As in most shows these days ML's and associated gear is uncommon. Well we already knew we were a minority group in the shooting fraternity.
Yes, the knife merchant guy, he's not gonna sell much to older ML guys like me because we already have a lifetime supply back home!

My observation on shows is its for 2 things…
Shops that hope to unload the junk they cant sell in their stores.
Collectors of manure that no established shops will buy or sell on consignment.
I live within a reasonable close distance to Carlisle (PA). The mecca of car auction stuff.
Goes on for days. Most of the tables are junk that some guy collected from his dead grandfather garage and cant identify most of what he is selling.
Those shows are a waste of time.

Captvane......You going to the Carlisle convention center this Friday/Saturday????? Muzzleloading gun art show there starting AM Friday. Probably will be no percussion caps , but guaranteed lotsa fine m/l guns and stuff to peruse. Limit u're wallet contents , if u're pinched for cash. A ton of horns , finished and not , supplies of all kinds for gun buiding , Dixons m/l shop will be there. Well worth the trip.

Today's gun shows are more akin to flea markets. More and more tables with China made junk, and everything non gun related. Gun owners need to start boycotting those shows and letting the promoters know why they're not attending. Maybe if they get hit in the wallet, these promoters will go back to the days when if it wasn't gun related, it didn't get in.

I was considering the next Oaks Pa gun show, but for $15 just to get in to see garbage forget it. I'll wait for the little local show near where my son lives. It's small but all they sell is guns and gun related items. No tables full of China knockoff Conan the Barbarian swords, orthotics salesmen, or the pickle vendor.

Today's gun shows are more akin to flea markets. More and more tables with China made junk, and everything non gun related. Gun owners need to start boycotting those shows and letting the promoters know why they're not attending. Maybe if they get hit in the wallet, these promoters will go back to the days when if it wasn't gun related, it didn't get in.

I was considering the next Oaks Pa gun show, but for $15 just to get in to see garbage forget it. I'll wait for the little local show near where my son lives. It's small but all they sell is guns and gun related items. No tables full of China knockoff Conan the Barbarian swords, orthotics salesmen, or the pickle vendor.
What do you have against pickles? lol

I've been finding great reloading supplies. All the old guys are dieing off and their rare obsolete supplies are being sold cheap. Nobody knows what these old calibers even are. I don't see anything but junk for muzzle loaders. I always burn right past the 8 table Pakistani Damascus knife set ups. That and all the dyed chicken feathers an jerky. Always a bazillion tables of plastic rifles and pistols with young guys going all nutzo over them. But, I always manage to find some real jewels to take home.

Just thought I add If you are in dire need for # 11 cap’s Buffalo Arms had some RWS still in stock. They are quite expensive and are sold as a quantity of 4. 230 dollars includes shipping. Some complaints I found not to be applicable to the rws caps I purchased in the past; in fact I can say i was very happy with. Oh the complaint was about the jacket shattering. They didn’t come apart any more than Remington or cci. But again they are expensive. If Ethan’s research from I love Muzzle Loading the shelves are not going to be filled with any for months. Like I said if you are in dire need and want real caps pay suggested retail at Buffalo Arms and go shoot.
IMG_1942.png

Seems most folk are in them Star Wars guns.
I like and appreciate all types of firearms. Those who love our 2nd amendment need to stick together. Division does no one any good and is exactly what the powers that be want.

I’ve got my fair share of “Star Wars guns” and I appreciate them for what they are. I’ve always preferred blu steel and walnut but one of my handguns that I am most accurate with has a polymer frame. Form doesn’t necessarily follow function. All firearms are beautiful in my eyes…even the ugly ones!

Back