• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hoyt rebore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianc

40 Cal
Reaction score
I recently had occasion to purchase a couple original small caliber Ohio’s that are in pretty decent shape, all except the bore which is more like a sewer pipe. Anyone know what the turn around that Hoyt has is?

It varies of course. Mine was like 6 weeks. Great job and good service. He’s in eastern time zone. Call around 8 AM there

I've a friend who had a Civil War era Enfield relined by Mr. Hoyt; his reputation is really stellar, from all accounts!
Bobby has done 4 bbls. for me over the past 40 years that I can remember. I use them in NSSA competition. He is our go to guy. None recently. In the day you might wait a year. Guess he is getting caught up. I asked him a few years ago "What are we going to do when you retire?" He said he's a gonna do it till he drops. Jaeger

Well familiar with Mr. Hoyt. Visit with him whenever I tour Gettysburg. First rate. His speed is handicapped by a lack of help; just has a granddaughter working with him at present. I believe right now, with the North-south Skirmish boys in COVID limbo all these months, his turn-around time is reasonably rapid.

Bobby has done a number of different barrels for me. I can't recommend his work highly enough. And very reasonable. That 1-2 months would be about right that I recall.

Bobby has done a total of 5 barrels for me in the last 3 years. First rate craftsman. Average of 2 months time. If it is going to take a long time he will tell you.

I have a .50 Renegade that I am thinking of having Mr. Hoyt bore to a larger caliber for me. I was thinking of .54 smoothbore, but wanted to see if anyone would offer a different suggestion. I currently have .45, .50, and .54 RB twist rifles, and .50 and .54 1:48 twist ones (in addition to the Renegade). I figured I could shoot my .54 RBs through the new Renegade, or use it as an (approximately) 28 gauge. Should I stick to the .54 or is there a good argument to go to .56 or .58? I don’t currently have any .56 or .58 RBs, and I am not looking to make this a complete cannon to shoot (ie thump at both ends :) ). Also any argument against going smoothbore? I appreciate your insight, gentlemen.

‘Poet

I have a .50 Renegade that I am thinking of having Mr. Hoyt bore to a larger caliber for me. I was thinking of .54 smoothbore, but wanted to see if anyone would offer a different suggestion. I currently have .45, .50, and .54 RB twist rifles, and .50 and .54 1:48 twist ones (in addition to the Renegade). I figured I could shoot my .54 RBs through the new Renegade, or use it as an (approximately) 28 gauge. Should I stick to the .54 or is there a good argument to go to .56 or .58? I don’t currently have any .56 or .58 RBs, and I am not looking to make this a complete cannon to shoot (ie thump at both ends :) ). Also any argument against going smoothbore? I appreciate your insight, gentlemen.

‘Poet

I have a .56 SB Renegade I like A LOT. It is a lot of fun to shoot and very easy to clean with the smooth bore. It is my go too BP long-gun for new shooters or if I just want to BP plink. That said, I would not pay money to have something custom made that I could buy ready-made (the .56) or that called for an odd size (.55) ball. To be fair I do use .535 balls I have around for my .54 in the .56 SB with a thick patch and it shoots fine at plinking distances. In your place I would go with a .58 smooth bore (or larger). I think you will be happier with the larger bore when shooting shot. Good luck.

Back