• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy from Ohio!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjgramann

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bill here -- 50-something BP-bit shooter. I always loved the looks and romance of flintlocks, and finally bought a Traditions Deerhunter last year for muzzleloader season here in Ohio (I missed the deer with it).

I've been working on it hard over the last several sessions at the range. Having difficulty seeing well with the cheap sights provided, I just mounted a set of Aim Right sights, which seem much more precise, though I haven't had a chance to get back to the range (neighbors in the city frown upon simply taking it out back . . .). I have reliable ignition and I don't think I'm flinching, as I am able, with great care, to put a round offhand into the bullseye at 50 yards.

Over the weekend, I spent hours grinding away (by hand) the frizzen spring until I can flip the frizzen open and closed easily with my thumb. I also worked on the underside of the frizzen, trying to mate it more exactly with the pan, but discovered that it will not happen no way with this lock. After resurfacing the frizzen face, the flint still leaves a horizontal groove in it, though not as deep as before the spring tuning.

So I ordered from Mid-South Shooters Supply the gun I wanted in the first place, but couldn't justify last winter -- the .54 cal 1 in 60 Lyman Great Plains rifle. I'm dying to see it and shoot it. I'll keep the Traditions for playing at the range and for fair weather with the non-closable frizzen. I expect to be able to shoot a faster ball with a smaller bruise, given the heavier rifle.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to bragging.

Bill,
Welcome to the MLF,always nice to see
another, BUCKEYES#1,at least for another week.
What part of the state do you call home.Great
having you with us,contribute when you can.
I am snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Greetings from another "Buckeye." Sounds like you are into the experimenting and learning what works and what doesn't.... Seems to be a common condition with BP folks.

I'm in a small town, and people here get to actin' funny when I bring my collection out into the back yard.

Howdy from Wyoming. Used to wander a bit in Ohio. Miss it back that way every now and again. Used to go to that deer and turkey expo I think it was called.

welcome fellow buckeye, always glad to have another for the army of ohio! wk1

underhammers forever

Back