• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy for Northern California

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Pan Dan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy All,

I am new to this board and I am getting back into muzzleloading after a long lay off. I started shooting black powder rifles back in the 70’s. I went through a series of factory cap rifles and enjoyed it but I could not find an adequate flintlock to shoot. Finally, in 77’ I ordered a .36 caliber Poor Boy rifle from Ozark Mountain Arms. It was a semi custom built rifle that I got 6 weeks later. It has a small Silar flintlock and Green River barrel and this rifle can shoot.

After awhile certain aspects of shooting a muzzleloader, as I knew it, started to wear on me. I didn’t understand some things and no one was giving good answers to my questions. Maybe I wasn’t asking them right or asking the wrong questions. So I quit.

Some of the things that bugged me was why do I have to use such tightly patched ball to get good accuracy and not have burned out patches. With a .350 ball I had to use .020 patch to get good groups. But I had to clean between shots and use a lot of force to ram the ball home. Then there was the issue with the flint itself. Why did I have to knap the flint or replace it after 15 or so shots? Well, these were the things that drove me away. But I always knew I would get back to it. I love flintlocks.

In subsequent years I managed to learn and compete in Traditional Archery, BPCR, Highpower rifle, Long Range Rifle, CAS, and somehow made it to the Olympic Trials in International Trap. As well as keeping up with fly fishing, fly tying, photography, flying, and other avocations too numerous to list.

A few months ago I ran into an article by Paul Vallandigham about how to shoot a flintlock. In it he asked all the same questions I asked 30 years ago. But he had answers. So I read and reread his article then I dug out my old poor boy along with some crusty old ammunition and went to the range tried out his ideas. Some of the things he wrote to do were; replace the leather pad in the jaw of the cock with a lead pad, use a wad under the patched ball, checking the angle at which the cock struck the frizzen. All of which I did. And voila! I got more than 40 shots out of the flint and using the wool felt wad under the patched ball allowed me to use a patch as thin as .010 and still get tight little bughole like groups. I am one happy flinter. Since all this happen I have shot hundreds of rounds through my little poor boy and looking forward to a lot more as well as some new flintlock rifles.

That’s my story. Oh, the moral of the story? Ask and keep asking until you get answers.

Flash Pan Dan

Hi Dan, welcome from Wisconsin! Glad you stuck it out and finally got answers to your questions. How do you find time enough to do ALL the things you listed?

Welcome to the MLF Dan! Lots of friendly knowlegable folks on the site. Hope you share a story or two and contribute when you can.

Welcome from Oregon!

Glad you found us and Paul V as well.He is an institution on great info!

Thanks, Mazo Kid, I kind wonder how I did all that myself. But the transitions and all the practice seems pretty seemless in hindsight. Ah, to be young again!

RR, I have been thinking of making the same move. Living here in the Peoples Republic Kalifornia, land of the almost free and home of the hidden brave, is getting mighty unsettling. Specially, for us hunter/gather type folks.

Dan, welcome to camp! I dont think you could have found a better place to chew the fat and share the welth of knowledge than right here.
If your like me, you just found a can of worms that you'll be digging through for years to come!

From the Hills of Tennessee!

Back