• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah pistol range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
runnball said:
I posted this on the smoothbore forum for use in a full-length shotgun for turkey but it may work for you as well. Only testing will tell how it will react out of the shorter barrel.
2008_03160007.jpg

That would probably tighten it up and make it a better critter gitter, but I'm going to keep trying more traditional methods for now. I've never used plastic wads, but I might try that after I've had some more trigger time. Thanks.

Jumpshot,
home defense gun comes to mind. The twenty five yard target. That would be one ball in each lung of a bad guy. problem solved.
I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of that one!
volatpluvia

Great job Jumshot. Seems like your having lots of fun with your new toy. Keep up the good work.
Dusty

Those patterns look promising, but, at the risk of belaboring the obvious, I think some of the usual recommendations to improve patterns are worth trying your next time out with shot. I presume you're already familiar with them, but I really think that with those short barrels, the effects will likely be significant.

The first is to lighten the wads between powder and shot, both individually and collectively. If you prefer the cushion wads rather than some other method for lube, split them and use just a 1/4" cushion - that has really made a difference in my 16ga. If you can lube with a patch or a schpritz down the bore, try just the over-powder card, or a few overshot cards. Even with the cushion, you might try substituting the multiple O/S cards for the O/P one. These collectively are less to tighten pattern than to reduce the chance of something disrupting it.

The other is to cut the powder charge back to 2/3 - 3/4 of the shot volume, or even to 1/2 if you try #5 shot. The reduction in gas pressure at the muzzle should have a noticeable affect on tightening the pattern, and the reduction in recoil should let you use more shot comfortably, adding to the pattern improvement. Obviously, you'll have to make sure the penetration is adequate for what you'll be shooting at the maximum range your pattern is usable, but I don't expect it to be a major problem at pistol distances.

I'm really interested in seeing what works for you.

Joel

Joel/Calgary said:
I presume you're already familiar with them...

Not really. Like I said, I'm not much of a shotgunner, always being more of a roundball shooter. Thanks for the tips, I'll try them next time I go out. :hatsoff:

I have the Howdah in double .20s. I got pretty similar results with mine. Truly a great - just plain fun to shoot firearm. I also shot some buck and ball loads with pretty good results. .60 patched (Dixie) round ball and 4, #4 buck on top of the ball (then an overshot card) loaded with 35 grains of FFg. I don't have to worry about small children in the home these days and that is how I keep it loaded for home defense.

I know these guns are fairly close range guns, 11 inch barrels with only a shotgun bead front sight. But, I am still thinking with shot loads it will be a good squirrel taker.

I've been thinking seriously about one of these for a long time. I live and hunt in serious bear country, and I have been charged. Last time was while hunting deer with a ML rifle. The experience kinda shrunk the bore size on my rifle while also making me painfully aware of the one-shot opportunity to do the job if a bear decides to finish a charge.

A large bore two-shooter looks like the best solution short of carrying a large bore modern revolver, which kinda defeats the purpose of carrying a ML in my book.

I haven't made the move to buy one yet for two reasons.

You have answered the first one: Most references I've seen use powder charges down around 30 grains. At 60 grains with PRB this is an interesting gun. What's "book max" with Pedersoli?

Issue #2 for me is still an open question:

How do you conveniently carry one of these in the field, day in and day out? I'm talking long days in tough country here, not casual walks on flat ground.

Woah!!! I used a .60 caliber patched round ball topped off with #4 Buck. My powder charge was 35 grains. I'm sure it would handle a greater charge, but at the distances and purposes I plan on using it, thats good for me.

As far as carry, I made a holster for it. If you don't want the trouble of that, Dixie Gun Works sells a holster for the Howdah Hunter.

I love the gun, its definitely got its place, but if I was going to carry a BP Pistol for protection against a bear - it would be my Walker. Five shots are more comforting that Two. Six if you use the safety pin.

I dont know a whole lot about this as I am only 14 and havent tested this idea in my original 1850's double barrel 14 gauge caplock but it would probably be a good idea. to try a regular 20 gauge wads that are in 20 gauge shotgun shells. I have never tried them as I use the under and over shot wads with my double but I bet it would work be bring in your patterns. In the book advanced blackpowder hunting by toby bridges he uses regular wads to tighten his patterns and in the book it says that the less you slit the edges of the plastic wad the tighter the pattern will be. I think it would be worth a try. enjoy silent sniper

Gentlemen:
Please consider silent snipers thoughts and comments for their value and do not get into the merits or demerits of the author of some of his ideas.

Thanks
Zonie

Zonie said:
Gentlemen:
Please consider silent snipers thoughts and comments for their value and do not get into the merits or demerits of the author of some of his ideas.

Thanks
Zonie

Roger, and 10-4!! :thumbsup:

Actually silent sniper, that approach predates the book you cite, and it's a good one. Back before lead shot was required here in Alaska I used my double barreled 12 gauge muzzleloader from Navy Arms for a whole lot of duck hunting, in spite of it's unchoked bores. Following the advice from an even earlier source, I worked a lot with the plastic wad columns available from shotgun reloading companies. The best in a 12 gauge turned out to be the red ones from Winchester (WAA12R) mostly because they were stiffer than any others around at the time.

In contrast to what Bridges says though, these were used whole to produce an Improved Modified (almost full) pattern, cut to half their length for a Modified pattern, and 1/4 of their length for an Improved Cylinder pattern.

If you're curious about what Zonie was talking about in his post I quoted, since he published the book Bridges has done some things to discredit himself with traditional muzzleloaders and drawn a lot of anger. His early information such as you cite is good, but Zonie was worried that folks would attack you for citing him.

That isn't going to happen on my watch. You put forth good information that has a lot of value for the discussion at hand.

Good work and keep shooting!

it's worth noting that you can get some of the same benefits of the plastic wad cup by making your own wad cups out of brown wrapping paper. while i've never tried it myself, it would serve the same purpose of holding the shot pattern together for just a little bit past the muzzle, while staying within the parameters of primitive! all that would be needed would be a mandrel of the proper size that after wrapping the desired number of times, the o.d. of the cup would be the same as the id. of the barrel.

Great report. I may have to get one of those guns. I have a pair of .60 caliber flint smoothbores that I shoot. They really tear up a target or a backstop when you shoot a load of buck and ball. My opinion is that is the load that these bad boys were most often loaded with. It will kick pretty hard, but that Howda butt stock is shaped to handle it.

Many Klatch

Mr. BrownBear,
Typically, am a day late and a dollar short. Just found out about the Pedersoli Howdah and am very much interested in one.
Pedersoli lists the max BP charge as being 35gr. You are probably already aware of this?
Seems a little lite for what you and I might have in mind to use one for.
Am continuing to read old posts to see what others have used. Perhaps you have additional info?
Best Wishes

I have wanted a Howdah since I was in the 4th grade and saw my first pen and ink of Indian sitting on top of an elephant stopping a charge of a tiger who was 3/4 up the said elephant!

They are a great concept.

The 20 gauge / .620 bores do make sense. Buck and ball in one barrel or even the one barrel with 000 buck and one with #4's makes for a useful "tool". If I was small game hunting I might opt for #4's in one and #6's in the other just to give me options.

If hunting small game or coyotes but it happened to be in dangerous game territory I think I would keep one barrel for the prey and one for the predator ( :wink: ).

I agree I think 35 grains of powder seems low.

Double barrel anything is beautiful but in a pistol it is fantastic!

35 grains in a 20 gauge pistol bucks pretty good. I have tried larger loads but my wrist wasn't real happy. At the distances we are talking about I don't think extra powder would help much. Besides we are talking about a real short barrel. Any more powder than 35 grains will just burn outside of the muzzle.

Many Klatch

Back