• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How would you remove this blemish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked this Harper's Ferry up for a good price. I'm refinishing the wood, but uncertain as to how to clean the barrel up. I've tried polishing it out, without success.

I have an idea of how to...fill it over...but I'd love to hear recommendations from the forum.
Degrease the area, dye (Brownell’s product, comes in black or brown) some 2-part epoxy and scrape a very thin layer over it. If you blue it or brown it, it may blend in, maybe get close. Nothing wrong with leaving either.

Degrease the area, dye (Brownell’s product, comes in black or brown) some 2-part epoxy and scrape a very thin layer over it. If you blue it or brown it, it may blend in, maybe get close. Nothing wrong with leaving either.

I'm planning to keep the barrel in the white, as it came.

set the muzzle into a bit of Evapo-rust and let it set for a bit< cupl hours? >. Use a soft brass brush or the 0000 steel wool and rub it off.
wash the end with water and then polish the entire barrel to brighten things back up. put on a good gun oil and you should be fine? the pits will still be there, but the dark color should be gone. a lil paste wax, buffed in, on the end when your shooting should limit the oils in your hands from attacking the metal?? clean and oil after use and it should not become a problem?

btw, The Evap-rust will attack the oxidation but not the metal ( NO METAL WILL BE REMOVED ) if used on a blued part, the bluing will be removed..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Picked this Harper's Ferry up for a good price. I'm refinishing the wood, but uncertain as to how to clean the barrel up. I've tried polishing it out, without success.

I have an idea of how to...fill it over...but I'd love to hear recommendations from the forum.
Really fine steel wool with oil and elbow grease? BTW, is it a repro or original? That might dictate how you proceed.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my OP. The rust has been dealt with, it's just the pitting that remains. And yes, it is a Pedersoli repro.

You will never be happy with it, from your comments; so sell it!

Why is everyone filing and removing metal? Find a good MIG welder, fill it and file it to shape. It's not an original. If it was I'd say leave it alone after stabilizing the rust.
Because it is just a small zit. Not a big deal. If it were larger, I would support your suggestion. Anyway, he obviously is not a MIG welder, so he would have to farm it out. Anyone can take a file with a little care and remove a zit.
Larry

Maybe I wasn't clear in my OP. The rust has been dealt with, it's just the pitting that remains. And yes, it is a Pedersoli repro.
I'd love to have a repro myself having passed on one at auction before the covid thing. Now that the rush has been removed, I'd just leave the pitting, much like they would have out on service in the early 19th Century! A mark of usage, like a battered boxer's scars! Good luck!

If the rust is gone for good that's all you need at this point. But definitely oil it well and keep an eye on the spot but don't worry about it.

Anything you do to it is just going to make it more obvious. Sometimes a fellow needs to know when to just leave stuff alone
With all respect to your thinking, I disagree. When a car has a dent you fix it. If you don't know how to fix it, then I totally agree with you. The OP is asking how to repair it.
Larry

Back